Pumping Mash to Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkbarnes82

Reaction score
I'm new to using a pump. How should I move the wort from the MLT to the BK? I have a 20 gal boilermaker as the BK with the standard features no extra bulkheads. Should I pump up and over into the kettle or into the valve through the ball valve/pick up tube?

I guess my concern is hot side aeration with splashing over top and if it would even work through ball valve.

Don't worry about hot side aeration, it's questionable at best. I pump through my whirlpool port/valve. I fly sparge so I pump in at about 1-1.5 quarts per minute using a vertical flow meter attached to my pump outlet. You can also gravity transfer into a pitcher and just pour it into your kettle (low tech, reliable, no priming). If you batch sparge, just pump it in full throttle.

I batch sparge. So I could just hook up the tube transfer 1st running. Batch sparge, then transfer 2nd/final runnings? All through the ball valve?

Back