Pull-Through Fittings for Soldering Upgrade Hole Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLSurfer

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been looking into upgrading my two keggles with 1/2" silver soldered bulkheads like the one's from BrewHardware.com. The problem I noticed was that when I measured the currently drilled hole sizes they were closer to 15/16" or 1" than the recommended 7/8". I am assuming this will be an issue with the fittings from BH. Are there other 1/2" bulkheads that have an outer diameter that would work? Maybe a coupling like this has a 1.06" OD? Or am I just out of luck on this one?

Thanks!

Not all 1/2" couplers (at least the ones in my inventory) are all the same OD. I'd measure mine to let you get a sample of the range, but I'm not home right now.

Some sellers might have detailed dimensions, or willing to take measurements for you.

So to satisfy my own curiosity I measured the 5 couplers I have at home with a set of calipers. Sizes ranged from 24.0mm (15/16-inch, or 30/32-inch) to 24.8mm (31/32-inch). With most being closer to 24.8mm than 24.0mm.

You are in luck in that I recently ordered from Brewhardare two of the couplers you linked. They both came in at 24.8mm OD (31/32-inch). Note that the description you linked (same for my order) said it had a matte finish, and an 1.06" OD. The supply must have changed as that is not what I measured, and I would consider the finish on mine to be shiny.

I also have that very bulkhead you linked above as well (I have one of the BrewHardware pull-though kits). It measures 24.55mm (which also rounds to 31/32-inch).

My first thought is that the couplers should work. The hole sizes are such that the couplers will just barely slide in when aligned properly. Maybe stick just a little. Just enough to either solder them directly, or put a jig on them.

Option 2 would be to just go 1". Then get something like this 1" to 1/2" bushing. That would make it big enough for some heating elements as well.

Or (option 3) if you have one of the BrewHardware pull-through tools, go 1.5" TC, and get a 1/2" NPT to 1.5" TC adapter.

Option 4 would be to just install the screw-in bulkheads.

Last edited:
Hi Tiggers! Thanks for all that leg work. I appreciate it.

I'm wondering if those bulkheads/coupler will flare out the pot wall enough to provide enough contact area for the silver solder to bond with. I'm sure other people have encountered this. I'm gonna send BrewHardware an email and see if they can provide any advice.

Back