PTFE tape alternative?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khannon

Guy who really knows where his towel is.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using PTFE tape for years for NPT fittings.. Is there a non-life-threatning alternative? PFTEs are a bad solution to human life, but I've always added "plumber's tape" to the threading otherwise I get leaking(less deadly immediately, but inconvenient). I suppose I could go do research, but instead I chose to come here and possibly start a controversy. So, lets have it.. Do you use PTFE like Mark Ruffalo says will kill you or do you you use ??(beeswax?)?? to seal NPT fittings..

Moving from NPT for some of my fittings would be prohibitively expensive at this point, so I am looking for an alternative.

BTW, I understand there was science and reality behind the movie Dark Waters, so this is a real question despite my trying to make death or mutation fun(ny?). Thing is, years ago we moved from leaded solder for potable water, yet the science has been out for a while on PTFEs, and they are sold bulk at any box hardware store "as a reminder"...

Huh? Can you show a link to this science that shows PTFE tape is an issue? Don't go confusing overheating teflon coating in frypans with boiling liquid contacting PTFE tape!

I would say you have not much to worry about... A wikipedia article on Thread Seal Tape notes:

"Temperature Range: -268°C to +260°C (-450°F to +500°F). PTFE is completely stable up to +260˚C (500˚F). Decomposition is slow up to 400°C (750°F). Decomposition will occur on contact with open flames. "

In regard to the film, it's a film, not real life. If I am not mistaken it was the chemical byproducts from manufacturing that were dumped, and not PTFE alone.

Last edited:
Huh? Can you show a link to this science that shows PTFE tape is an issue? Don't go confusing overheating teflon coating in frypans with boiling liquid contacting PTFE tape!
I cannot.
My questioning comes from a lack of research, and maybe I'm conflating Teflon tape(PTFE) with PTOA/OS, and that is my bad.. If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, then sorry for asking..

Appreciate the responses.
Maybe(probably) I am over connecting things.
Though this tidbit from the wikipedia article does concern me..
"Overheating and subsequent decomposition of Teflon can produce perfluoroisobutene which is 10 times as toxic as phosgene. Inhalation of even a minute amount can be fatal. "

So boiling OK, but direct avoid direct flame heat?

Regarding the movie, the lawsuits and effects upon people and property were real. They may have been byproducts from production, and not use of Teflon coated pans, but this is not a 'Jenny McCarthy says vaccines are bad" level event.

Besides all of that.. a quick search shown me that www.teflon.com says it's totally safe.., so why worry, a company with a vested interest in selling me something says it's safe, so it must be, despite the many(and there are many if you read it), safe. What chemical company has ever tried to sell us something for short term profits that has turned out to be dangerous in the medium or long term? (aside from cigarette manufacturers, DOW, Monsanto, and many others?)

Appreciate the responses.
Maybe(probably) I am over connecting things.
Though this tidbit from the wikipedia article does concern me..
"Overheating and subsequent decomposition of Teflon can produce perfluoroisobutene which is 10 times as toxic as phosgene. Inhalation of even a minute amount can be fatal. "

So boiling OK, but direct avoid direct flame heat?

Regarding the movie, the lawsuits and effects upon people and property were real. They may have been byproducts from production, and not use of Teflon coated pans, but this is not a 'Jenny McCarthy says vaccines are bad" level event.

As mentioned in the article: "PTFE is completely stable up to +260˚C (500˚F). Decomposition is slow up to 400°C (750°F). Decomposition will occur on contact with open flames. "

So yes, it should be fine with boiling. But don't get it near open flame, nor exceed 260°C / 500°F

If you are truly worried about Teflon, then I recommend you never eat out at a restaurant again, as many restaurants use teflon coated pans and other equipment. Nor should you eat any baked goods as usually the industrial ovens use coated equipment (baking forms, trays etc). And odds are you're ingesting a lot more that way than you ever could using plumber's tape to seal the threads on a fitting used for making beer at home...

Back