PSA - Defrosting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countrysquire

Reaction score
Yesterday I decided that it was time to dfrost the kegerator (converted dorm fridge). Had a lot going on, so instead of waiting for it to thaw, I started chipping away at the ice block with a butter knife. Bad idea. When I came in from detailing my wifes car this afternoon, I headed directly to the kegerator and pulled a glass of the delicious AHS 1554 clone only to notice that it was not as cold as normal. The thermometer inside the kegerator was reading 68 degrees. As sonn as I stuck my head in there I could here the leak. Apparently chipping at the aluminum cooling plate/coil with a butter knife is not a good idea. All the freon had been leaking out of a tiny split in a coil from where the knofe had hit it. Not too smart on my part...

Looks like I'll be heading to Home Depot tomorrow for a little chest freezer...

I'm impressed. I've seen people use ice picks and sharp knives to poke holes but a butter knife? You must have been thinking of your mother in law when you went at it. ;)

Will add to this PSA. My first Kegerator was a little on the small size. I needed 1/4inch more to put an extra keg in there so I I brute forced it in nice and tight only to find out I must have pinched a line on the side wall. Luckily it was a craigslist deal, went to home depot and got a bigger more reliable freezer...

Back