PRV Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parmour

Bird Law Brewing
Reaction score
I just purchased a ball lock spunding valve from a store that's awesome and has great customer service. The spunding valve came out of the box ready to use. I connected it to a pressurized keg and the PRV was releasing pressure. I started to close the PRV and the pressure continued to release. The PRV was completely closed and pressure was still being released. I reached out to the store that I purchased it from and they were happy to send me a replacement PRV. I replaced the PRV with the new one and the same leak occurred. For reference, here are some pictures

Inked20210430_081025_LI.jpg

The red circle is where the leak is coming from.

20210430_081359.jpg

Here is a picture of the parts within the PRV and the setup.

Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong with my approach or execution of using this spunding valve. Please help!

Cheers!

these designs are notorious to release pressure until you're well below the threshold. Do you know what pressure was in the keg when your spunding valve was venting?

The keg was at 8psi. I even tried to put the keg at 2psi then attached the spunding valve and it still leaked.

Is there any pressure indication on that spunding valve, or any instructions what it's supposed to be?
Maybe the spring is too short or doesn't have enough tension.
Or a damaged or dirty seat. Can you see inside to inspect and clean it?

Definitely a product malfunction.
BTW, is that o-ring cracked perhaps?

I'd contact the store again.

This happened when I was trying to use a similar design spunding valve. After several failures, for different valves, I simply bought the Blowtie setup. I have both the original and newer design. I like the newer since it includes the gauge on the valve.

Something else to consider. The spunding setups that just vent to the air are depending on you hearing the release. They are also not as sanitary as they could be. Yes, you would have pressure moving through the valve, but if you are below the PSI level that it stops at, it's possible for something to get inside your fermenter. Setups that allow you to run the venting CO2 through a liquid (StarSan) are better for both items. For one thing, you can SEE the level of activity going on. It also acts as an airlock to prevent anything from going in through the exit.
To do that, I simply attached small (8oz IIRC) plastic jars via PTC fittings to the ends of the setups. Partially fill with StarSan and Bob's your auntie.
Picture to illustrate:
PXL_20200930_213502344 (1).jpg

Honestly, it seems to me though like there's just a leak at the teflon or something...
did you try putting soap solution so that you can visualize the exact leak location as opposed to just hearing and feeling it?

Is there any pressure indication on that spunding valve, or any instructions what it's supposed to be?
Maybe the spring is too short or doesn't have enough tension.
Or a damaged or dirty seat. Can you see inside to inspect and clean it?

Definitely a product malfunction.
BTW, is that o-ring cracked perhaps?

I'd contact the store again.

The only pressure indication comes from the gauge and the instructions don't say much. I inserted two small washers within the spring housing and still no change to the leak. I'll try wiping the interior to see if anything comes out. The o-ring in the picture or the other sent to me isn't cracked and that was something I definitely inspected.

Honestly, it seems to me though like there's just a leak at the teflon or something...
did you try putting soap solution so that you can visualize the exact leak location as opposed to just hearing and feeling it?

I sprayed a star san solution all over it and that's how I was able to identify the leak within the PRV. I did though, replace the Teflon just to make sure.

I'm stumped...seems like I'm missing something.
did you vent the keg all the way and then apply pressure from a co2 regulator that you trust?

I'm stumped...seems like I'm missing something.
did you vent the keg all the way and then apply pressure from a co2 regulator that you trust?

The lowest pressure I went to was 2psi and at that pressure, it leaks down to 0psi. That's what I feel like as well. What are the chances that the two PRV's that are sent to me both malfunction.

I had the same issue with this type of brand of spunding valve so I went with the Blichman spunding valve. Another thing to watch for is the quality of the pressure gage, even with the Blichman. I changed mine out with a liquid filled gage.

You may also try a little spray of food grade silicon lubricant

I've been very pleased with the SPUNDit. Doing lagers now after many years of strictly ales.

I had a similar product, mine with the stainless cross and additional gas post, that also leaked. Mine leaked at the fermenter gas post. Replacing the fermenter gas post o-ring fixed my leak.

Back