proper way to fill priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boil it in water and add to the bucket before filling it with beer. Then make sure that the siphon hose wraps around the inside of the bucket so that it whirlpools when you fill it.

To tell you the truth, I have done it both ways and never noticed a difference. So now I don't stir anymore. Just be sure that it is whirl pooling while you are siphoning. But if you want to stir, it won't hurt anything jut do it gently.

I do the same as MuchoGusto...stir the liquid gently when the bottling bucket is full. I add the priming sugar AFTER I've got a couple of inches of liquid at the bottom of the bucket. That way, I'm sure I won't damage the plastic of the bucket with hot priming sugar/water.

glenn514:mug:

Ya definatly chill it prior to putting it into the botteling bucket. You dont want to kill or shock any yeast that remains in suspension for priming your bottles. better to play it safe than sorry.

I wait until the beer is in the bottling bucket to see exactly how much there is, then calculate the amount sugar to use for the volume of CO2 I want. Boil in 2 cups water and add to the bucket after letting it cool a little. This works well for me, I am really afraid of bottle bombs... had one bottle bomb put a hole in a drop ceiling tile... sounded like a gun going off. Since then I have been ultra cautious.

Sorry to heart about your bottle bomb. I only had one pop, and it was when I brewed rootbeer for the kids. Knowing what I do from here, and reading the recipie that adds 5 POUNDS of sugar to baker;s yeast, I took the precaution of carbing in a tote bin.

Back