Propane Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeHeavy

Reaction score
Anyone know how much line PSI a 20 lb unregulated propane tank has?

I'm wanting to extend the hose on my setup.

If you are going to extend line, I would do it AFTER the regulator. No reason to kill yourself over a few feet of gas line....

Leave it to the wife to figure it out.

She looked at the tank and saw it had 375 pounds forged into the safety relief valve.

The vapor pressure of propane depends on the temperature of the tank. Here's a chart:

propane-vapor-pressure-diagram.png

Data lifted from Engineering Toolbox

The 375 lb figure for the relief valve is not the pressure of the propane. The operating pressure of the valve is based upon the design MAWP (Max. allowable working pressure) of the tank, derated by an adequate safety factor. I haven't taken the trouble to look up CGA specs for portable propane tanks to determine the derating factor.

As said previously, you should extend the line after the regulator. It's a lot more forgiving of construction mistakes.

After seeing the relief valve was rated at 375, it had more pressure than I cared to mess with.

Thanks

Safety relief valves are generally rated at 1/2 the burst pressure of the vessel and/or 2x teh working pressure under typical conditions. If you must extend the HP side, plan for 375 working PSI and you should be fine. Plus, the SRV will back you up in the event of an overpressure. Can you plan for 200#? Sure, but if that thing sits in the sun and hits 110°F you may have a failure.

Back