Propane Tank

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

WeHeavy

Reaction score
Anyone know how much line PSI a 20 lb unregulated propane tank has?

I'm wanting to extend the hose on my setup.

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
If you are going to extend line, I would do it AFTER the regulator. No reason to kill yourself over a few feet of gas line....

OP
WeHeavy

WeHeavy

Reaction score
Leave it to the wife to figure it out.

She looked at the tank and saw it had 375 pounds forged into the safety relief valve.

jds

Reaction score
The vapor pressure of propane depends on the temperature of the tank. Here's a chart:

Data lifted from Engineering Toolbox

The 375 lb figure for the relief valve is not the pressure of the propane. The operating pressure of the valve is based upon the design MAWP (Max. allowable working pressure) of the tank, derated by an adequate safety factor. I haven't taken the trouble to look up CGA specs for portable propane tanks to determine the derating factor.

As said previously, you should extend the line after the regulator. It's a lot more forgiving of construction mistakes.

OP
WeHeavy

WeHeavy

Reaction score
After seeing the relief valve was rated at 375, it had more pressure than I cared to mess with.

Thanks

Philip1993

Reaction score
Safety relief valves are generally rated at 1/2 the burst pressure of the vessel and/or 2x teh working pressure under typical conditions. If you must extend the HP side, plan for 375 working PSI and you should be fine. Plus, the SRV will back you up in the event of an overpressure. Can you plan for 200#? Sure, but if that thing sits in the sun and hits 110°F you may have a failure.