Propane Burner Issue *bummer*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rescue brew

Reaction score
I started the night off super excited and now I'm just bummed.

I finally fired up my turkey fryer propane burner after sitting in storage for two years and it just isn't firing off like it should. I remember this thing sounding like a freakin jet engine, but the flame is only to be described as ... fluffy.

I was thinking that maybe it's the ambient temp outside messing with the gas pressure coming off of the tank, but it's only 55-50 degrees.

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

I started the night off super excited and now I'm just bummed.

I finally fired up my turkey fryer propane burner after sitting in storage for two years and it just isn't firing off like it should. I remember this thing sounding like a freakin jet engine, but the flame is only to be described as ... fluffy.

I was thinking that maybe it's the ambient temp outside messing with the gas pressure coming off of the tank, but it's only 55-50 degrees.

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Check all of the burner orifices and make sure they aren't cloged with dirt.
Also, if you have an air compressor you can take everything apart and blow it all out to make sure it's nice and dust free.

What burner do you have. I have a SQ-14 which has an air flow adjuster to let in more or less air into the propane. If that is closed all the way, the flame will be very dim. If I open it all the way to let a lot of air in, the flame is bright blue and sounds like a jet engine. Make sure (if you have one) that your air flow adjuster is opened.

Also you might want to clean it. Since you haven't used it in 2 years, spiders might have spun webs which block air flow.

probably the OPD on the tank, shut the tank valve,bleed off pressure to burner. S l O W L Y !!!!!!! open tank valve and relight.

That happens to me when my burner gets wet I take it and turn it upside down give it a few shakes and wait a little while good to go. You might have dirt?

Take a closer look

Thanks for all the replies.

1. I checked the burner for blockage. It was pretty clean considering the storage time.
2. I hooked it back up to the tank, opened the tank valve first and then the burner valve... that's when I heard, dun dun dun ... a leak.

After the burner valve there is a safety timer. The connection into that timer is letting gas out, hence the low pressure. hissssss Time to do some homework on building a new line from my tank to my burner.

Back