Pronunciation of Amarillo hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueVassar

Reaction score
So I just made the Amarillo IPA (or at least a very close rendition) that I learned about on these boards. I cracked into my first bottle tonight and it's awesome! I want to brag about it to my friends but, embarrassingly, don't know how to pronounce the hops.

Is it Amary-o (spanish pronunciation) or Amari-llo (english pronunciation)?

I appreciate your help because I need to brag about this batch :)

Sounds just like Camarillo :p

I always pronounce this the anglicized way (rhymes with Brillo) unless I'm actually (attempting to) speak Spanish, in which case it would be extremely unlikely that I was referring to the hop variety.

In California, there is a city called "Vallejo". They went half-assed on the pronunciation; they should call it

va-yay-ho

Or, it they want to americanize it,

vall-eh-joe

But no. They call it

vall-eh-hoe

My favorite spanish word is ma-chee-chos, matches, naw, I just made that up. Es muy feo. El stupido. I say it the english way, a'-ma'-rillo, with a southern accent. Yee ha. I'm sure my spelling is wrong on the spanish words, because my computer doesn't type in spanish.

Latest posts

Back