Promash Alcohol Estimation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve973

Reaction score
I downloaded ProMash and I was messing around with it. I entered the specifics for the batch I plan to do in a couple of weeks. I noticed that even if I adjusted certain things, like grain amounts, the type of yeast used, the amount of candi sugar, etc, it wasn't updating the estimated alcohol content. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

In "Brew Session" mode, the alcohol content is in the "Fermentation" mode. When you click Fermentation, the spaces in white are adjustable and reflect the actual measurements from the batch. The alcohol % (ABV) is calculated from the OG and FG measurements just above it. You can see that right above the OG and FG spaces it says "Recorded Actuals".

When you intially import a recipe into a Brew Session, it will take the OG from the recipe and "assume" an FG and calculate the resulting ABV. If you change any of the ingredients in the Session, the OG and FG under the Fermentation tab do not change because they are supposed to be recorded actuals. You can update them manually. You will notice that there isn't any place when formulating a Recipe to indicate FG or ABV.

When you are formulating a recipe, consider the OG primarily, and then if you are curious, you can use the ABV calculator to see what you will get if you hit your FG target, or you can manually manipulate the numbers under the Fermentation tab. The OG is the primary indicator of how "big" a beer is. Depending on the yeast you use and some other fermentation parameters, you will get various degrees of attenuation which will determine the FG and the subsequent ABV.

Thanks. I just wanted to see what we might get out of our dubbel if things go well. I wasn't sure if we wanted to use one or two lbs of candi sugar...

Back