Progressive Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
Knowing that larger bottles take longer to carb, I'm wondering if anyone intentionally uses a mixture of larger and smaller bottles to balance availability vs. convenience. I'm finding myself with a mixture of large and small bottles both of which have a mixture of swing-tops. I'm moving towards converting my entire inventory to swing tops but there may be some value in having some diversity. Here's my approach:

Larger bottles are faster to fill, but take longer to carb. Smaller bottles take more time to fill but carb faster. Not sure about this part, but I would I would postulate that the less time a swing top is subjected to pressure, the longer the seal will last.

So basically, I fill a mixture of 12 oz swing tops, 12 oz crowns, 20 - 24 oz swing tops and crowns. I try to drink the swing tops first respectively to eliminate the pressure and wear on them then move on to the crown caps.

Does anyone else think this much into this? Or am I just overcomplicating things?

Hmm...as I'm aquiring 22 ozers I've been filling them first, then using the 12 oz bottles that are left. Not really because they take longer...just less bottles to fill (and clean/sanitize). I do drink the 12 ozers first and save the big'uns for last just because it makes it easier to save some brew....

I do dark beer in 12 oz. crowns, and my light's in 500ml Ez-Caps. Easy way to keep them separate.

Where did you get the idea that larger bottles take longer to carb? The bottle sugar ratio is the same whether it's a little bottle or a big one. I do a mixture of 22 oz and 12 oz and they always carb up at the same time. I do it that way because sometimes I'm not in the mood for a 22 oz beer :O Shocker, I know.

Back