Problems with headspace for bulk aging barleywine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threetall

Reaction score
So I brewed my first barleywine,and after doing extensive research decided to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks and then I racked it. I just racked on monday about 3.5-4 gallons to a 5 gallon glass carboy for bulk aging. I was planning on letting it age for 3-6 months in the carboy before bottling. I am, of course, concerned about oxidation.
I know this question has been asked on here a million times, but I wish I could get some more advice on the matter. I have heard some argue that I don't need to worry about it, and others argue that it is a definite concern.
I am thinking that there is still a Co2 cushion on the beer and I shouldn't worry and mess with the beer,but I am not 100% sure.

I would be concerned. Short term, it's probably ok but I'd bottle soon if I didn't have a smaller carboy or a way to put some co2 or argon in the carboy.

I have the same issue with an imperial stout. Can I purge out the o2 with nitrogen? I have access to pure nitrogen, but not Co2 or Argon. I have had it in the secondary for 4 weeks with a good amount of head space that I am getting worried aboutg.

How do you go about purging a carbon with co2? Just shove a hose to the bottom and open up the regulator a bit?

You could try one of the "wine saver" cans- theoretically, it works. Given the cost of such a beer, the safety factor of racking it to a new carboy may be worth the purchase. It will oxidize as it sits.

Pure nitrogen is definitely better than air for contacting your beer. My concern would be that since nitrogen is lighter than air, it would eventually be displaced; the airlock may keep that from happening though, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can weigh in.

I would think the airlock would keep it in since water/sanitizer is heavier than the nitrogen. Unless it was being pressurized, I don't see how it would escape.

I read a post on this site a few weeks ago where someone suggested adding a bit of sugar to the carboy to encourage the yeast to give off just enough CO2 to fill the headspace. I don't know how much that would affect your finished product. Maybe someone else can chime in there.

Other idea: do you, or will you, have an actively fermenting batch? Rig the blowoff tube into the airspace in your barleywine secondary. That should displace the oxygen.

Oth

I have the same issue with a Barley Wine at the moment, however, only about .5 gallons of headspace at most.

Beer wort definitely retains a lot of CO2 from primary fermentation as one can see in a carbonation calculation. The longer the conditioning, however, the less likely you will have any retained CO2.

I had the same issue with a Breakfast Stout I made a while back. After aging it for a while, I poured a 22 oz. bomber of a coffee stout into it. The beers flavors melded right into mine, obviously 22 oz is a small proportion of 4.5 gallons. Also, it was fully carbed and added CO2 to push out oxygen. That beer turned out well and certainly wasn't oxidized so that may be an option for you - at least in the short term. It also takes out some of the headspace.

Back