Problems with fermentation. help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirk

Reaction score
I brew for the first time on April 8, I followed a porter recipe, everything went OK, I got a 1,050 density before adding the yeast. on April 12 I made the first density test(the pic is where my beer is fermenting)after it started fermenting, the result was 1,024, I waited until April 15 to do another density test and the thing is... the result was 1,024, again, the density stopped falling.... looking on the internet I read that there are two possibles reasons, my yeast might have died or it's contaminated. I tried the beer at that point and the flavour was ok, so I decided to add more yeast to see if something happens, that was 4 days ago... I made another density test 20 minutes ago, and it's still 1024.

What can it be? I mean the flavour is ok(a bit flat), it has little alcohol... what can I do?

cerveza2.jpg

Was this an extract recipe, or all-grain? What kind of yeast did you use? How much? Did you aerate the wort before pitching? What were the temperatures like?This information will help answer the question, "What happened?"

As for the "What should I do now?" question, there may not be much to do. The common advice is to move the bucket to a slightly warmer location, give it a few good swirls (not shakes), and see if that helps.

You may have to call it a learning experience, and bottle it up and drink it. Not such a bad thing. Next time, use plenty of good healthy yeast, and shake the wort like mad to aerate it.

Oh, and welcome to HBT! Cheers!

All grain
Safale S04
the whole pack, it said it was for 20-30 litres, I made 20 litres
oh I forgot to aerate the wort.... this might probably be, I am so stupid...
all the densities I gave you were corrected by temperature

just, 151 F/ 66celcius for 70 minutes, last 15 minutes I used a pump to recirculate.

thank you guys for your replies, I think I will just bottle and see the results.

Back