Problems with attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian-d

Reaction score
I recently built a fermentation chamber from a 7cf chest freezer and Ranco style temp controller which seems to work well. The last three beers I've fermented did not hit the expected terminal gravity. The last two were in the 1.080-1.085 OG range and finished in the high 20s. I've never had this problem before. My beer always attenuates well. Both were vigorous fermentions for 2-days before settling down. Two things come to mind that I suppose could make a difference,

1. I mashed higher than normal. One beer 153 and one at 155. I'm usually 150-152. Could this make a big difference?

2. I had to pitch the whole starter because the starter fermentation was not complete (big starters) after about 18-24 hours and I was finished brewing and ready to pitch.

Aside from that I kept the fermentation temp right where it should have been so I do not understand what has happened lately? Any comments? Thanks! Is there a procedure to use to bring the gravity down in this type situation?

The mash temp can absolutely make a difference.

If you did not previously use temp control, you may be setting it too low? Also, I often increase temps at the end of active primary to ensure complete attenuation, especially if I use highly flocculating yeast.

Also, were these your recipes or kits? I ask bc, FWIW, dark grains, crystal and carapils can throw off expected FG and software often does not account for this.

Hope this helps...

Latest posts

Back