Problems w/FastFerment 14 gall Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPH

Reaction score
I've used the 14 gallon Fast-Ferment conical fermenter twice and have had the same problem each time. When unscrewing the collection ball to either empty it or switch it with the drain hose, the inner mechanism ( the one that you use the red handle to tighten) unscrews as I'm loosening the the outside screw cap that holds the collection ball in place.

At first I thought it was because I didn't have the inner mechanism tight enough. So, the next time I cranked down tight and made sure it was in as tight as possible. Now I'm thinking that a little bit of wort has gotten in between the inner mechanism and the collection ball unit and due to the stickiness of the wort, the 2 pieces have become stuck together.

On the larger fermenter there is a groove on the collection ball unit that looks like a rubber O-ring should be placed which would act like a seal between shutoff valve and collection ball unit. Should that be there? I think both times I have had the o-ring there and maybe that's my problem.

Anybody else having this issue? Any thoughts or suggestions? I haven't used this fermenter in over 2 years because of this issue as each time I've had at least 3 gallons of wort gushing on the floor.

I have a couple of the 7 gallon version.
There is an o ring that goes between the collection ball and the valve. The groove that hold the o ring is on the valve and usually stays put. There is a raised area on the collection ball where the o ring would contact.

I have found that I do not need to tighten the collection ball very much to maintain the seal. If it is leaking, I have always found that the o ring is missing. Without over tightening the collection ball I have had no problem removing it without turning the valve.

I have a couple of the 7 gallon version.
There is an o ring that goes between the collection ball and the valve. The groove that hold the o ring is on the valve and usually stays put. There is a raised area on the collection ball where the o ring would contact.

I have found that I do not need to tighten the collection ball very much to maintain the seal. If it is leaking, I have always found that the o ring is missing. Without over tightening the collection ball I have had no problem removing it without turning the valve.
Thanks for confirming that the o-ring does in fact belong there. My main issue is that when unscrewing the collection ball the entire Union Valve also unscrews and completely falls out. I'm at a lose as to why it does that. I might be over tightening the collection ball possibly.

I have only had the valve rotate when removing the collection ball maybe a couple times. Each time it did that, I had difficulty due to an overtightened collection ball.

It really doesn't have to be tight to not leak with the o ring in place.

Back