Problem with my yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhot55

Reaction score
I am in the process of making a starter for a porter. As I went to open the WLP007 (Dry English Ale), best before date 11-30-08, just when the seal cracked, the yeast seemed to bind together like egg drop soup and became thicker, even chunky, than usual. It seemed fined before hand. The smell was funky, but yeast tends to smell funky to me and this is my 1st time with this strain, so i have nothing to go by.
Is there anything wrong with this? I've used WL and WYEAST and haven't seem this before. FYI- yeast was shipped in 5 days with an ice bag placed inside an insulated bag. When i received the yeast, it was slightly cooler than room temp so i don't believe it was subject to a huge temp spike. I refrigerated it for 2 days and took it out, but didn't get to it for a day, day and a half (68-70* house temp). I pitched into the starter anyway, but am afraid to actually use it. Is it bad? SHould i be looking for something in the starter over the next few days? Is it salvagable? Thanks.

I've never used that strain, but the information on it says it is like WLP002, which can have a clumpy appearance because of how highly flocculating it is.

I'd use it in the starter but have a backup packet of dry available as well. If the starter smells bad or doesn't get going then I'd pitch the dry.

thanks for the replies. don't know why i didn't inquire or look at the white labs site. here's what i pulled if anyone's interested:

FAQ for this yeast (WLP007)
Read other FAQs

I purchased a WLP007 for my Dry Stout recipe.
As I prepared to make a starter, I noticed the yeast was considerably different than in the past. Instead of being creamy and smooth after shaking, part of it was lumpy. The question is, what’s going on here?

This is normal for this strain as well as other very flocculent strains such as WLP002 and WLP005. As we concentrate our yeast to a considerable degree, these very flocculent strains will look rather lumpy.

Thanks again to all.

Latest posts

Back