Problem with fermenting at high temperature.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuraKura

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm from Indonesia and just started brewing recently and because of my tropic season all year long, i'm having trouble at fermenting.
The coolest place on my house is around 82F. I'm using a US-05 safeale yeast so i thought maybe 82F will be fine, but after doing some research on this forum, people say that it is a bad idea to ferment at high temperature because it will give it off flavor.
So after 24 hours fermenting at 82F room temperature, although there is no visible activity in the airlock but thin layer of krausen is forming on top, i put my fermenting bucket on a water bath filled with iced bottle water and get my fermentor to 73F and have been maintaining the temperature at 73-75F by regularly switching the iced water bottle.
After 40 hours, the krausen is subsiding and i can see some white clumps (i assume its yeast) forming on top of the wort.

My question is:
1. Is it bad for the yeast to have sudden drop in temperature? is my batch ruined?
2. what is those white clumps?
3. any other methods so i can have a good fermenting temperature in high tropical season area?

Sorry for the long post, i hope fellow brewers could help my inexperience question and make my worry go away.

Cheers :mug:

Its probably fine. Using the ice and water bath is a method I've used in the past, it works. Next time, you might consider starting it in the cold water bath rather than starting at a high temperature and moving low. If you can get the temps down to 68F or less, that would be ideal.

Let us know how it turns out! And welcome to HBT!

Fermenting too hot can cause several problems. Fusels being to worst. Fusels will give a hot alcohol flavor and will give you a headache when you drink beers with fusels.

You are probably are ok because you got the temp down before fermentation really took off. Better practice for the future would be to cool your wort down to the mid sixties if you can, pitch the yeast and then try to keep it at the best temp for the yeast you are using. You can look up the recommended temps for each yeast on the manufacturers website. Some yeasts ( mostly Belgians, but others also) do not like to be cooled after fermentation starts. Belgian yeasts can just stall if you do that.

Since you are in a hot climate you might want to look into brewing saisons, assuming that you like them, because saison yeast are probably the only yeasts out there that like hotter temps and do not produve fusels at the hotter temps.

You could try temp tolerant yeasts.

Mangrove Jacks Workhorse yeast has a tolerance to 32C/90F although they no longer have it in their range there are places you can still buy it. Here in the UK there's several online shops that still sell it

Mauribrew 514 Ale yeast has a temp tolerance to 30C/86F

I've read in the below article that WLP008 is good up yo 32C/90F

"WLP008 (East Coast Ale Yeast) is used by one brewery in Taiwan that consistently ferments at 90F, and they report good beer flavor."

http://byo.com/hops/item/1084-make-me-sweat-cool-tips-for-hot-weather-brewing

Back