problem with auto-siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drobbins

Reaction score
I made a batch of Braggot that called for a 3 oz of hops, 2 of which were Pearl which was in leaf form when I bought it ( I know it's really cones but it's commonly refered to as leaf)
anyway, being kinda lazy I let it go in a plastic bucket primary for 5 weeks with the hops just floating free
when I went to bottle it today I was going to siphon it into a bottling bucket with some priming sugar and had a really tough time with the hops clogging up the siphon
it smells wonderful with a strong hops aroma
question: how to avoid the clogging problem?
should I put the hops in a muslim bag?
will that decrease the effect I get from them?
I started growing some hops this year so this is going to be an ongoing problem
I wasted a couple bottles because I couldn't get it out of the primary:mad:

Dave

Well, usually if you dry hop within 7 days you have gotten all of the hoppy oils that make the beer smell so damn great. You could use a bag, but within 7 days I don't think the hops will fall to the bottom. Also, doesn't your AS have a cap on the end to prevent stuff from clogging it? Well either way, a muslin bag would be your best bet.

yea, it has the little cap on the end
I guess one option is the mesh bag and another is to use my bottling bucket for a primary, wait 10 days or so, drain it into a carboy through the spout in the bottling bucket which I don't think will clog and will leave the vast amount of hops behind, then 2 weeks later siphon back to bottling bucket and bottle
hmm, I like the first option, I'm lazy:drunk:

Dave

yea, it has the little cap on the end
I guess one option is the mesh bag and another is to use my bottling bucket for a primary, wait 10 days or so, drain it into a carboy through the spout in the bottling bucket which I don't think will clog and will leave the vast amount of hops behind, then 2 weeks later siphon back to bottling bucket and bottle
hmm, I like the first option, I'm lazy:drunk:

Dave

That second option is less than desirable. All that transferring will a)increase the risk of infection and b)increase the risk of oxidation.

I would use a paint strainer if needed. They're about a buck and easy to sanitize.

I'm all for the idea of avoiding transferring stuff unnecessarily
describe the use of a paint strainer
are you talking about the big cone things?
wrap the whole thing round the siphon and hold it on with a rubber band?

Dave

Yes drobbins, wrap the whole thing round the siphon and hold it on with a rubber band. It's just a large nylon bag.

Back