Problem solving: Taps through the wall...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Having my basement finished this month. Need help kegerizing the bar area. Here's the first render from the builder:

They are not doing three towers... They are going to leave 3 holes, 4" on center for me to run shanks and Perlicks through. The niche will also be lined with stainless and have a drip tray running to the sink. There is a storage area behind that wall. My original plan was to build a new collar for the keezer and build a platform to raise it up to the shanks. New collar because I'd probably want the lines coming out the side so that I can still open the lid. Also, a portion of the colar would have to be built out to extend between studs to the wall.Here's the current keezer:

Here's the plan from the builder. Now, the niche for the taps is going to be the only indentation on the wall... The wall will be straight across with only the indentation for the taps. I figured I needed more room in the closet area for the sideways keezer.

So.... I am not sure if I want to raise the keezer up to the taps. Do you guys think I could get away with insulating lines that run up there? Instead of essentially bolting the keezer to the wall? I force carb and shake kegs while they're in the keezer, and that will present issues when the keezer wants to rock away from the wall. Any examples out there of a good solution?

I dont think you need to raise the keezer up. there are some threads on here that people have run beer lines through insulated PVC pipes. Just make sure when you build that that you dont have to remove the lines for cleaning or you will have your work cut out for you. That bar looks awesome, I hope everything works out.

How about running a 4" plastic pipe loop out of the collar and back, run your lines through it popping out directly at each faucet, insulate the heck out of the outside of the loop, then locate a small muffin fan inside the keezer pointing in one end of the loop to pump chilled air through the loop and back.

If you're worried about the keezer moving a bit, cut a few inches of the plastic pipe just outside the collar and insert short pieces of dryer vent hose to allow some movement.

If the keezer is on castors, either remove them or block the keezer up off them so any movement is kept to a minimum.

Finally, grow your brew pipeline so you can quit the burst carbing ;)

Cheers!

pvc in the wall or up the wall should work, just use a computer fan to push air into the pipes to keep the lines cool

I ran a copper water loop (resivoir inside kegerator ) , pushed water with a small aquarium pump & wrapped my tap lines around the loop & insulated with 1 1/2"amourflex with a sidewall thickness of 1" , works for me for the past few years .

Naturally, I want an affordable fix... So no glycol.

Alchemy - Definitely been looking into that solution. It won't be too far, maybe a periscope shaped curve out of the collar, up the wall, then over to the taps. Keezer will be in unfinished space, so easy to just take it up close to the wall.

jdd - That crossed my mind, but I didn't know if it was possible. The copper extending back into the freezer a ways would even conduct some of the cold air up through, I would think as well. I've seen that trick done on towers. Would you use the copper like you would use for a wort chiller? Also.... For about a round trip of no more than 8 feet or so, would I even need copper? Vinyl tubing?

Going to go the air-cooled route but have some questions...

Going to cut a 2" hole in collar, then run a 4" or so piece of PVC through the hole. Will attach an elbow and run it up towards the taps. I'll build a box around the three taps with that pink insulatey stuff. PVC enters that and beer lines split to their respective taps. On the inside of the freezer, I will attach an 80mm computer fan to the 3" side of a 3" to 2" reducer. Fan plugs into this puppy (not big on wiring electric) and gets plugged into an outlet outside the freezer.

EDIT: Will also wrap the outside PVC with insulation.

Trying to decide if I want to get this timer. I am thinking I can set it to start blowing about an hour before I get home from work and let it go until about midnight. Set it for all day blowing on the weekends. Any problem with that sort of a schedule?

My only worry is that I do get some water in the bottom of my keezer. Not sure if the fan will hold up in the dampness. Any thoughts?

Updated bar sketch... This is me pouring beers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back