Keezers: Tap Spacing? Insulation on Wood Optional?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Still working on my keezer plan.

I want my taps close together for obvious reasons, but how close is too close? I found Perlick 650SS flow control taps for a good price, so I will be using 4 of those and possibly a stout faucet.

I see a lot of people making keezers with no insulation on the inside of the wood. Is this smart or is it, in fact, bubbafication?

I'm considering building a mobile base. It would let me move the keezer for cleaning when it's full, it would put the taps at a more convenient height, and it seems like it ought to improve ventilation so I could feel better about ignoring the wall distance requirement.

While they allegedly will fit on 3" centers, I would not put those FC Perls closer together than 3.5" on centers, especially if you want to maintain the ability to use fancy handles.

As for the insulation inside the collar, I thoroughly insulated my equivalent, but I've seen collars sans interior insulation and nobody seemed bothered by it. I reckon the wood alone could provide decent enough insulation to avoid condensation.

I would not have a keezer without casters under it. Especially with a tower, as you need to pull the cabinet away from back walls to change kegs, etc. I've built three keezers and they all rolled around atop custom dollies...

Cheers!

That's exactly what I needed to know. If the standard is 3", and these are bigger, then I will bump it up half an inch. Thanks.

I just decided I'm going to do this quick and dirty. I was thinking of all sorts of ways to put it together, but I'm going to use 2x6 lumber, no adhesive to glue it to the freezer, weatherstripping on the top and bottom of the wood, and a little stain. No insulation.

If other people can get away with omitting glue, so can I. I think a collar that can't be removed could cause cleaning problems, and the freezer may die before the collar. I'll use 2x6 wood because it's heavier than 2x4 wood.

I'll think about improving it later. Right now I need a keezer that works.

Back