Problem - Moldy aroma in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chramboman

Reaction score
So I've noticed that the last 6-8 batches of beer I've made have had an unpleasant "moldy" aroma to them. There is absolutely no "moldy" flavor that I or anyone else can detect, so it's strictly an aroma issue.

I always rack from a primary glass carboy to a secondary glass carboy using a plastic siphon and plastic tubing. The wort is transferred from the kettle to the primary carboy via a drain in the kettle. I've read that in some cases, this type of scent can come out of the hoses/plastic parts. Prior to each use, I soak each piece in hot cleaner (PBW) for at least 15-30 minutes then rinse, followed by sanitation with StarSan. For this reason, I don't think the scent is coming from the hosing/plastic pieces. Even smelling them now, I notice nothing abnormal.

I recently brewed a batch, entirely "mold" scent free, at a different location, using the same equipment, the same grain source, hop source, etc. The only difference in my methods were fermentation environment and water source. The "moldy" scented batches were prepared using well water, while the scent-free batch was prepared using city water. The well water does indeed taste less desirable out of the faucet, while the city water tastes fine. The fermentation environments were different in both temperature and humidity. In the "moldy" scented batches, the temperatures were higher (78-82 F)and the room was rather humid, while the scent free batch was dry and colder(55-65 F).

In an attempt to rule out the water as the culprit, I brewed a batch using the same city's water, but placed it into the warmer and more humid fermentation environment. Low and behold, the beer had the "moldy" aroma. Therefore, I assume it's the fermentation conditions that are giving rise to this "moldy" aroma.

My question is, can certain fermentation conditions give that type of off flavor? It's a very difficult aroma to describe. Also, is it possible for a poor water source to give these off flavors after primary fermentation? It seems like the aroma is there to stay and rarely does it seem to fade away. Lastly, do you have any suggestions?

I've searched high and low for an answer, but I haven't turned up much. Mostly because it's difficult to properly identify the aroma.

Those are very high temperatures for fermentation, are you sure it isn't an unwanted ester from the yeast? What are your yeast strain's recommended temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've used S-04 and US-05. S-04 has an ideal range of 59-68, while US-05 has an ideal range of 59-72. The temperatures are quite a bit higher than the ideal range, so maybe that's the driving force behind the problem. I've noticed the aroma with both strains.

Latest posts

Back