Probiotic drink in Canada to use for kettle sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galactik

Reaction score
I want to attempt a kettle sour using my Grainfather and am having a hard time finding a recommended source of lacto that is available in Canada, more specifically British Columbia. I hear Goodbelly shots a lot, but those are not available here.

I have a fridge full of Danactive probiotic drinks that my kids drink, would they work?

Does anyone from Canada have a recommended and readily available option?

Thanks.

Can you get Swanson's Lactobacillus plantarum (available online) or Renew Life Ultimate Flora (available in stores)?
Many yeast labs have good Lacto cultures too that may be available from your LHBS or online (Escarpment for example is in Canada and makes a good Lacto blend).
Look for products with Lactobacillus plantarum.

If you can hold temps high enough, any non-fat yogurt or probiotic drink (live cultures) would work. Grain can also be used but is way more risky.

BTW, if you can get L. plantarum, I suggest not kettle souring. Co-souring is an easier and less risky process.

Cheers

I can get the Renew capsules from Amazon.ca How many capsules would I use in a 5 gallon batch? Sorry very very new to the idea of a kettle sour.

I can get the Renew capsules from Amazon.ca How many capsules would I use in a 5 gallon batch? Sorry very very new to the idea of a kettle sour.
For kettle souring, 3-5 caps.

If you make a starter or co-sour, 1-2 caps.

Co-souring is very easy:
  • Make wort and chill as normal. Use absolutely no hops.
  • Pitch yeast and L plantarum.
  • Ferment at 65°F (18°C) or higher.
  • Optional: after reaching desired sourness, add hops via dry hop or hop tea.
  • Package as normal.
Renew Life Ultimate Flora is what I use and it's great.
Keep it in the refrigerator and it lasts a very long time.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back