Probe Thermometers for Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
So I've been putting off buying a thermometer for my keggle because I want the best of both worlds. I already have teh 1/2" coupling welded in to the wall. Sure, I can get a dial thermo with 1/2" MPT and just be done with it, but then I have to keep watching the dial for when I hit my mash/sparge temps. I thought, wouldn't it be great to use one of those digital probe style thermos with the temp alarm and timer built in? Great, so now I have to figure out if the proble shoved into a thermowell would be accurate or not.

Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of getting a 4" thermowell and filling it with some heat conductive grease then inserting the probe.

How about a straight compression fitting? Unless the probe is some random diameter you should be able to find a fitting.

Hmm, thanks for the idea. I think that might work as long as I get the diameters right. Maybe I could even use some silicone tubing to bring the diamter up if necessary. It's not a high pressure joint.

If the probe is a odd diameter, check out the McMaster metric fittings (with standard pipe threads). It gives you a few more options. Check our page 159 in the McMaster online cataloge.

Stopped at Lowes for the solution. I got a 1/4" tubing to 1/2"MPT fitting. If I stack 5 #60 O-rings ($1.50 for 10) onto the probe between the fitting and the compression nut, it holds everything super snug and water tight. I liked the fact that I don't have to use any reducers to get to the 1/2 pipe. The mcmaster fitting for 1/8" tube would probably be even better but it only goes up to 1/8" NPT. Thanks again for the suggestion, I'll post a pic on this thread when I get it installed.

Putting orings in place of the ferrule for low pressure applications. Good idea. I will store that in the back of my brain. Will surely come in handy some day.

Here's the end result. I didn't test for leaks but I don't expect any.

keggleinside.jpg

kegglecouplings.jpg

By the way, that tube sticking out is an insert from a larger 3/8 tubing fitting. It makes a nice washer to crush the o-rings. Without it, the small Orings would pop right out the hole in the nut. Also note this is not the nut that came with the fitting as that one had the ferrule attached. Had to grab a spare plain nut.

Bobby_M said:
Here's the end result. I didn't test for leaks but I don't expect any.

keggleinside.jpg

kegglecouplings.jpg

By the way, that tube sticking out is an insert from a larger 3/8 tubing fitting. It makes a nice washer to crush the o-rings. Without it, the small Orings would pop right out the hole in the nut. Also note this is not the nut that came with the fitting as that one had the ferrule attached. Had to grab a spare plain nut.

that's the same thermometer I have that now tells me it's 147F outside. have you had any problems with it? I mentioned this in another thread but when I saw that you had the same one, I just had to ask.

I just purchased 2 of these from www.northernbrewer.com. They also use a 1/4" compression fitting w/ a small washer and 2 o-rings to seal the thermometer/probe. They claim the fitting should fit any standard 1/8" stem thermo, but the o-rings are much larger than the #60's you're using. They also use a single washer that is supposed to go at the back where you have the tube fitting. When you tighten things up, the washers just squish into the fitting towards the T. I didn't like it.

So, here's what I did, and it would work for anyone trying what you did, too. I got a short length (~ 1" long) of 1/4" OD tubing, slid it over the stem, put a 1/4" compression sleeve over the tubing and then tightened it into the compression fitting. The sleeve crushes down on the tubing and seals the stem in tight. When you loosen the fitting you can remove and replace the thermo. My wife's got the camera, but I'll take some pics when I can.

wbg-thermosight.jpg

todd_k said:
that's the same thermometer I have that now tells me it's 147F outside. have you had any problems with it? I mentioned this in another thread but when I saw that you had the same one, I just had to ask.

That is because it got wet somehow. Take the probe only and bake it at 350° for about an hour....It should work after that.

So I've been putting off buying a thermometer for my keggle because I want the best of both worlds. I already have teh 1/2" coupling welded in to the wall. Sure, I can get a dial thermo with 1/2" MPT and just be done with it, but then I have to keep watching the dial for when I hit my mash/sparge temps. I thought, wouldn't it be great to use one of those digital probe style thermos with the temp alarm and timer built in? Great, so now I have to figure out if the proble shoved into a thermowell would be accurate or not.

Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of getting a 4" thermowell and filling it with some heat conductive grease then inserting the probe.

So whatever happened with this? I'm looking to do my keggle with your thermometerless sight gauge kit and a thermowell. That way I can run a temp probe in there and have the readout higher up.

What did you decide about conductive grease in the thermowell? It does'nt look like you sell thermowells? What do you suggest?

Hmm, I have some broken links to pictures in this thread. I used a compression fitting with orings to seal the probe in. There are plenty of digital thermometers and temp probes out there that are waterproof up to where the wire attaches. The compression fitting deletes the need for a thermowell.

Yup, just fixed it. I have some of those fittings in stainless but it depends on what type of probe you're looking to mount that would determine if I have the silicone orings to match.

so bobby whats the end result of this? hows it hanging in there? i would love to convert my keggle to using the same thermometer. I have one of those exact ones sitting collecting dust.

Does anyone have updates on if this design worked? I am thinking of trying this on a keg I am converting to a mash tun.
Thanks.

Figures you come out with this a week after I make an order *grumble*

Now I "have" to order more stuff.

Back