(Probably A) Stupid Question about Grain Blends

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewer4

Reaction score
Since I am a total beginner I will doing extract brewing and have been poking around on windriverbrew.com for some kits. After reading the ingredients for the kits, I know what the extract, yeast, and hops are used for but am drawing a blank with the grain blend included. Are these kits not for extractions only and should a newbie like me stay away from these and go for something more simple. Maybe I'm just confusing myself. Please Help!!!! haha thanks in advance.

You steep the grains in 150F water for about 20 minutes to add color and flavor to the extract, really easy, not complicated.

Have fun.

Cheers and welcome!

Would this still be considered "extract" brewing or more partial mash? I just don't recall in any of the research I have done on extract brewing that there was a step using any sort of grain. Then again I just got my How To Brew book by Palmer, so I'm sure the answers in there somewhere.

The recipe I was planning on using:
Northland Hophead ESB- ESB stands for Extra Special Bitter. A highly hopped beer that is balanced out by a heavy dose of malt. A classic that can be found served in many small pubs in England. A great beer for the hop lover. The bitter bite of this beer will cut through rich foods like grilled steak in the summer or a good rich pot roast in the winter. The kit includes: 6.6 lbs. Gold Malt Extract, 1 Lb Gold Dry Malt Extract, 2 oz. Challenger bittering hops, 1 oz. Fuggles flavor hops, 1 oz First gold flavor hops, and 1 oz. Goldings aroma hops, 3/4 lb. British Light Crystal Malt 55° L &1/4 lb. Wheat Malt grain blend, yeast and priming sugar, grain bag and complete instructions.

Does this seem like a normal recipe that one could brew on their first batch? Or does anyone have any suggestions on a simpler first batch kit?

Not anymore complicated than my first batch. You just put the grains in a bag and pretend your making tea with them at 150F for 15-25 minutes depending on the recipe. Then bring it to a boil and add your extract and hops according to the schedule. You just have to dump the soggy grains out and rinse off your bag (if you plan on using it again), which there is plenty of time for as it is coming to a boil.

Just to clarify, the steeped wort (liquid) is added to the boil kettle, not the grains....never boil grains....well, except for decoction mashing, but that's a different episode....

Would this still be considered "extract" brewing or more partial mash? I just don't recall in any of the research I have done on extract brewing that there was a step using any sort of grain. Then again I just got my How To Brew book by Palmer, so I'm sure the answers in there somewhere.

It's called extract with specialty grains. It's not partial mashing as you are not truly mashing the grains to convert starch to sugar. While an all grain or partial mash recipie will still use some of these specialty grains in thier mash, what you have just adds color, flavor etc. to your malt extract. Go for it. Have fun.

thanks for all the help guys. I'm just trying to decide on what I am going to be fermenting in. I'm leaning towards the bucket since I'm just a beginner and move my way up after a couple batches. Probably a kit with a secondary fermentor so I can get cracking on another batch in primary. Can't wait.

How about saving the money you would spend on a secondary and buying 2 more fermenter buckets with lids and airlocks. Then you can have 3 batches going at once. That's how I do it, brew once a week and let the beers sit in the primary 3 weeks, bottle and you have a fermenter open and ready to go again. No rush to secondary and you get better beer for your effort.

thanks for all the help guys. I'm just trying to decide on what I am going to be fermenting in. I'm leaning towards the bucket since I'm just a beginner and move my way up after a couple batches. Probably a kit with a secondary fermentor so I can get cracking on another batch in primary. Can't wait.

You can go with multiple buckets, there isn't anything particularly magical about a carboy and secondaries aren't really required unless you are adding fruit or oak...folks dry hop right in the primary fermentor also.

RM-MN said:
How about saving the money you would spend on a secondary and buying 2 more fermenter buckets with lids and airlocks. Then you can have 3 batches going at once. That's how I do it, brew once a week and let the beers sit in the primary 3 weeks, bottle and you have a fermenter open and ready to go again. No rush to secondary and you get better beer for your effort.

Wow I can't believe I never thought of that. Haha where do you guys prefer to get your buckets from with lid and air locks included. Would also be looking to get a full kit with all the things needed to brew my first batch (recipe excluded; I can poke around for one but suggestions are always appreciated).

Just make sure not to heat the specialty grains above 150 or so degrees F. My kit specified 170F as the max. Steeping higher than this will extract tannins and other undesirable compounds.

Turn the heat off before you add your malt extracts to avoid burning them on the bottom.

Back