Probably a fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russrob81

Reaction score
Last Sunday my buddy and I brewed our first all-grain, an ipa I came up with. When we mashed in we got distracted and our temp raised to 180. Our target was 160. After about 15 mins it cooled down to target and had no more issues. Pitched wyeast 1056 at 65 degrees and had active fermentation within 24 hours that lasted 4 days. Checked the gravity Thursday and read 1.030 target was 1.020. Last night measured again and again read 1.030. Can I re-pitch the yeast to try to hit my target or is it just a fail and better luck next time
Thanks for the help

Its only been a week. Let it go another week and see what happens. Chances are that you will finish high because you mashed really high. 160 will cause a very very high FG. I doubt you will get any lower than 1030.

Give it a week or more, see what happens, then bottle or keg that sucker. It will be a sweet IPA for sure.

Last Sunday my buddy and I brewed our first all-grain, an ipa I came up with. When we mashed in we got distracted and our temp raised to 180. Our target was 160. After about 15 mins it cooled down to target and had no more issues. Pitched wyeast 1056 at 65 degrees and had active fermentation within 24 hours that lasted 4 days. Checked the gravity Thursday and read 1.030 target was 1.020. Last night measured again and again read 1.030. Can I re-pitch the yeast to try to hit my target or is it just a fail and better luck next time
Thanks for the help

Not necessarily a fail, but you will likely end high. I believe mashing that high will get you a lot more unfermentable sugars so that's why you won't end up at your target FG.

Back