Pro-Am

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
I don't really want to start a **** storm, but I wanted to hear what people had to say about this topic.

I have a beer that was selected by a Commercial brewery to be brewed in a large Pro-Am comp. The brewery will produce this beer and make it commercially available prior to the next comp. from what I understand.

The brewery is owned by In-Bev

This is kinda a weird deal. I hear opinions about people choosing to buy or not buy - but they are actually going to be producing my beer, and selling it.

I already know what I am going to do, but I was curious about what other home brewers would do if they were in my shoes. I have read many threads about people commenting strong opinions about In-Bev, so I guess I just want to hear what people think about this.

First of all congrats, that's really cool that they want to brew your recipe on a large scale. It think if that were me I'd at least have to buy a little just to see how it stacked up against the homemade stuff

I don't know if there would be anything, but if they make you sign something, make sure you read the fine print.

Read the fine print on something from ABInBev? but their the most loved beer brand! they'd never try to take advantage of someone. just look at this!

05302011-Budweiser-USA-can.jpg

unless you believe the stories about tesla, and an american sense of humor?

I don't really want to start a poopy storm, but I wanted to hear what people had to say about this topic.

I have a beer that was selected by a Commercial brewery to be brewed in a large Pro-Am comp. The brewery will produce this beer and make it commercially available prior to the next comp. from what I understand.

The brewery is owned by In-Bev

This is kinda a weird deal. I hear opinions about people choosing to buy or not buy - but they are actually going to be producing my beer, and selling it.

I already know what I am going to do, but I was curious about what other home brewers would do if they were in my shoes. I have read many threads about people commenting strong opinions about In-Bev, so I guess I just want to hear what people think about this.

I just participated in a competition where a brewer judging decided to re-create my beer down at his place as well in a few months. The brewery isn't owned by ABInbev but it is funny I had no inkling anyone would like my beer so I hadn't even thought of these issues.

The first thing just about all my friends said was "Oh do you get a cut if they put out a bunch of your beer and make more and it becomes a mainstay and takes over the world?!" I literally had not thought of this at all and I am interested in other's experiences in these situations.

I am not a money guy, for me it is the chance to see a professional, HUGE brewhouse and get real-world experience on how it goes down at the pro level. But I am curious if anyone has had this happen and if actual contracts are involved? My first thought as a pretty new homebrewer is this guy could replicate my recipe probably even without my input but he is doing goodwill by having me over to see the process and have recipe input. Subbed to see what people's experiences are with this type of thing.

I'm pretty sure this is just a standard way breweries crowdsource new recipes. They get free recipes already tested and approved by the drinking public, and the homebrewer gets a little recognition, and sometimes a brewery tour and some swag.

yeah we do this for competitions around here. Usually the winner or a people's choice winner will get to brew at a local brewpub. The people in the competition get to brew it on a larger scale, but they wouldn't get anything in return except for recognition and a growler or something like that. They aren't putting in any of the ingredient/brewday costs so i can't see why they would get monetary compensation. It make out for a fun time though!

Several smaller breweries around here have had competitions where the winners gets to be part of brewing his/her recipe with them and have it served in their tap rooms or one even had his canned and sold around the area. I've never heard of anyone being monetarily compensated. The reward was getting to brew on a commercial scale and bragging rights.

Yeah, that is the case here as well. I didn’t mean to imply that I was getting a cut. It’s just an opportunity to get to see the recipe on a larger scale. I’m not sure what format it will be sold as, I’m sure it’ll be in pub only.

Back