Priming with honey = gushers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smooshed_Snoot_Brew

Reaction score
So I have probably brewed about 40 gallons of beer in the last year.

My first beer an all grain 1 gallon kit was great, but I had gushers even weeks out from brewing. Primed with honey.

All brews in between aprox 35 gallons primed with sugar. not one gusher. Usually am sampling at 2 weeks with no issues.

Made a steeped grain / extract clone of that first all grain batch and primed with honey. Getting gushers 3 weeks out from bottling.

Any thoughts?

MT

2 possibilities:
1: honey is infected (not likely in 3 weeks time to gush)
2: honey is raw sugar. how much did you add to carb?

How much did you carb with? Did you factor in the amount of actual sugar content of the honey to factor in how much to use?

Also, how did you integrate the honey with your beer? Did you dillute it in water up to 2 cups and add it to the bottling bucket, or did you just pour the raw honey straight in? You could have mixing issues with the honey and the beer, and you could end up having inconsistent carbonation throughout the whole batch with some getting too much honey and others getting none at all.

So I have probably brewed about 40 gallons of beer in the last year.

My first beer an all grain 1 gallon kit was great, but I had gushers even weeks out from brewing. Primed with honey.

All brews in between aprox 35 gallons primed with sugar. not one gusher. Usually am sampling at 2 weeks with no issues.

Made a steeped grain / extract clone of that first all grain batch and primed with honey. Getting gushers 3 weeks out from bottling.

Any thoughts?

MT

How much honey?

Honey is a much more concentrated sugar and as such you need to use less when priming than you do with corn sugar.

Had my first bottle bombs when I overlooked this fact and didn't scale back on the honey.

I've done over 200 beers primed with honey and never had a gusher. The standard is 3 tablespoons PER GALLON but I use 4. Could be your beers have not reached FG

I used about 1/2 cup for 5 gallons. Following a published recipe. Seems like the only time I get in even carb some gushers some non is with honey. I boil the honey with some water and then put in bucket racking beer on top of the honey and water one would think this would evenly distribute the honey through the volume.

Latest posts

Back