priming suger (first brew help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer9

Reaction score
hi this is my first time brewing i have bought one of the brewing kits you can get off of ebay. Anyways i have my brew formenting in the primary formentor for about 4-5 days now i had 23 litres at the start and it has gradully lowered to about 17 18 litres. i was wondering how much priming suger i should use when i put the brew into keg for bottling and what is the best type of sugar i should use.

(its an ale that i am brewing btw)

I use this calculator when calculating for priming sugar. Most of us use corn sugar, but table sugar, Dried malt extract, and other fermentables will work. The calculator has instructions for metric conversion.

Welcome!!

I use this calculator when calculating for priming sugar. Most of us use corn sugar, but table sugar, Dried malt extract, and other fermentables will work. The calculator has instructions for metric conversion.

Welcome!!

cheers you know how the style lists have exp..(barley wine 1.3-2.3) is this the amout of teaspoons of suger per litre,pint whatever

cheers you know how the style lists have exp..(barley wine 1.3-2.3) is this the amout of teaspoons of suger per litre,pint whatever

That is actually the volume of CO2 in the beer. Certain styles of beer are far less carbonated than others and this gives you a guideline to decide how you want to carbonate it. Personally I like most of my beers around 2-2.5.

That is actually the volume of CO2 in the beer. Certain styles of beer are far less carbonated than others and this gives you a guideline to decide how you want to carbonate it. Personally I like most of my beers around 2-2.5.

well how do i know how much sugar i need to put into the brew that calculator is giving me the psi

Step 1: Choose the style of beer that your are bottling.

Step 2: Enter the volume of CO2 you want (for example if the range for an American Amber is 2.2-2.4, you might decide you want 2.3 volumes of CO2. (This is where you have to decide how "fizzy" you want the beer. Go for around 2-2.5 if you want a nicely carbonated but not overly fizzy beer.

Step 3: Choose your method (bottling)

Step 4: Enter the volume you are bottling. This doesn't have to be exact. If you have between 17-18 litres, you'll probably leave some on the yeast so you don't suck up too much sediment. You could enter 17.5L

Step 5: Enter the temperature of the beer you are bottling for example 19C

Step 6: Choose the type of sugar you are using.

Click on CALCULATE.

Hope this helps.

In my example I come up with 3.51oz or 99.4 grams of corn sugar.

The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

Step 1: Choose the style of beer that your are bottling.

Step 2: Enter the volume of CO2 you want (for example if the range for an American Amber is 2.2-2.4, you might decide you want 2.3 volumes of CO2. (This is where you have to decide how "fizzy" you want the beer. Go for around 2-2.5 if you want a nicely carbonated but not overly fizzy beer.

Step 3: Choose your method (bottling)

Step 4: Enter the volume you are bottling. This doesn't have to be exact. If you have between 17-18 litres, you'll probably leave some on the yeast so you don't suck up too much sediment. You could enter 17.5L

Step 5: Enter the temperature of the beer you are bottling for example 19C

Step 6: Choose the type of sugar you are using.

Click on CALCULATE.

Hope this helps.

In my example I come up with 3.51oz or 99.4 grams of corn sugar.

The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

cheers mate soz i had it on keg not bottling hence why i asked how much sugar to use

Back