Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Quick question. If my beer is perfectly carbed after 3 weeks and I put 12 in the fridge and drink them throughout the week. Then I put another 12 beers in a week later and they are overcarbed. Was there too much priming sugar? Is there's point when the beer stops carbing? Or do I have put the whole batch of beer in the fridge to stop carbing?

The reason you had more carbonation after a week is that the CO2 that was trapped in the headspace cooled down enough where it went back into the beer. You could have added a little too much sugar if you added the regular 5 oz/5 gal stated everywhere for beginners. You could try carbing to style and there are plenty of priming calculators out there.

Yes, that's why it's important to try to add your priming sugar based on weight and not volume. That helps to ensure you are carbing to style, without over carbonating or risking bottle bombs.

Kmcogar said:
So, is there a point where the beer stops carbing?

Besides making a solution of boiled water & the weighed sugar. Then make sure that's mixed evenly in the bottling bucket.

The real question is.....

you drink 12 beers a week???!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

:)

Did you weight the priming sugar or use a baker's measure? 1/2 cups - 2 cups, etc.

The real question is.....

you drink 12 beers a week???!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Uh... that 1.7 beers a day. Are you surprised because it's so little or because it's so large or because it doesn't divide evenly by 7?

Latest posts

Back