Priming Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWWard03

Reaction score
Hi all. I bottled a really good tasting Phat Tyre from Northern Brewer a few weeks ago. The test bottle had really good carbonation after just a week, but a couple of the bottles I've had since waiting another week didn't have much at all. They weren't flat, but it wasn't as good as the test bottle. Then last night I had one that was as good as the first. I used the priming corn sugar in the bottling bucket. Is it possible that some bottles didn't get the same amount of sugar? All bottles are sealed tight and have not leaked. I think I'm going to use the fizz drops next to make sure every bottle gets the same amount.

If you didn't throughly mix the priming sugar then yes some bottles might not have had enough sugar to properly carbonate.

Did you boil the sugar? That helps dissolve it as well as sanitize it. If it is not fully dissolved it will sink to the bottom. Another possibility is some just have not fermented the sugar out yet. Not all the bottles will react at the same rate. Make sure they are at a suitable temperature and give them a few more weeks.

Most likely, the sugar did not get fully mixed/distributed (in which case more time might fix).

Less likely but possible, loose caps (you would probably know before drinking).

Even less likely, more yeast wound up in some bottles (in which case more time might fix).

Instead of fizz drops, you can also add sugar to boiling water and use sanitized tool to dose each bottle before filling. Usually 2-4 ml of water can absorb enough sugar for a 12 oz bottle.

Hi all. I bottled a really good tasting Phat Tyre from Northern Brewer a few weeks ago. The test bottle had really good carbonation after just a week, but a couple of the bottles I've had since waiting another week didn't have much at all. They weren't flat, but it wasn't as good as the test bottle. Then last night I had one that was as good as the first. I used the priming corn sugar in the bottling bucket. Is it possible that some bottles didn't get the same amount of sugar? All bottles are sealed tight and have not leaked. I think I'm going to use the fizz drops next to make sure every bottle gets the same amount.

Here is another opportunity for me to recommend my simple, tried, and true method - 1/2tsp table sugar per 12 oz of beer. The "steps" are outlined in this thread - Individual Bottle Priming Instructions with Cane Sugar.

That happened to me on my first couple of brews. Not wanting to stir and have another possible cold side contamination, I upgraded to the 1/2" auto siphon and it is fast and mixes it so all bottles are the same. I bring 1 cup of water and whatever sugar I need to 180*, pour gently in bucket and rack on top. Can't imagine dosing each bottle (54), although that's what I do for kombucha but only 12-14 flip tops.

That happened to me on my first couple of brews. Not wanting to stir and have another possible cold side contamination, I upgraded to the 1/2" auto siphon and it is fast and mixes it so all bottles are the same. I bring 1 cup of water and whatever sugar I need to 180*, pour gently in bucket and rack on top. Can't imagine dosing each bottle (54), although that's what I do for kombucha but only 12-14 flip tops.

I use 20-60 ml plastic syringes. You dissolve the sugar needed so that less than 5 ml is needed per bottle. Then just fill and squirt into 5-12 bottles in a row. Dosing bottles takes less than 5 minutes.

+1.
And be sure to have the siphon tube laying on the bottom, around the outside, with beer entering on a tangent. I also give it 20 very gentle stirs, mixing around and top-to-bottom at the same time. I did it without stirring for a while without a problem, but it just feels safer with some gentle stirring. I can't detect any oxidation problem. Poor mixing can cause bottle bombs in some bottles.

Back