Priming Sugar Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjtravis

Reaction score
Last night we bottled our second batch. I boiled about a cup of water then added about 3/4 cups of corn sugar. I read you are supposed to boil the mixture a minimum of 10 minutes, so I did. The mixture caramelized slightly but we went ahead with bottling. We poured it in the bottling bucket and racked the beer on top and bottled. After we got to the bottom, there quite a bit of sugar syrup that stuck to the bottom. I'm not sure if enough sugar got into the beer to carbonate. Is our beer ruined or will it carbonate. Or can we open the bottles back up and pour more sugar in each bottle?
Thanks,
Steve

I've never read that you should boil your priming sugar for that long. Seems too long to me. I bring mine to a boil and let it boil for 1 minute tops. Most times not even that long.
As far as whether your beer will carbonate...I don't know the answer to that one...:(

It'll probably carbonate a bit less. As far as adding more sugar, I wouldn't. You don't know how much they got in them and you don't want bottle grenades.

A lightly carbonated beer is hardly ruined, though. Most beers are over carbonated IMO.

don't add sugar to the bottles or boil it that long. you'll just have to accept a ;ighter carbonated beer. i did a lot of experimenting with carbonation methods and priming sugar levels and discovered that beers that were short on priming sugar would carbinate to a dceent level if given 2-3 months.

When I first got into the hobby, I read in more than one book to boil for 15 mins., which is what I still do today, nine years later. What's the consensus?

you just need to boil it long enough to sanitize it. I personally use bottled water (already sanitary) and I only heat it up enough to dissolve the sugar... then I boil it for about 2 minutes in the microwave.
-walker

I usually go about ten minutes, but I also use about a half gallon of water. I would say there is a direct relationship between the amount of water and the length of time you can boil.

I always use two cups of filtered tap water and 8 oz. (1-1/4 c.) DME. I've read that the amount of water makes no difference - not saying it's fact; just that I've read it in the past.

I'm getting ready to bottle as soon as I finiash typing this and tonight, I decided to go for only a 10 min. boil.

Rhoobarb said:
I've read that the amount of water makes no difference - not saying it's fact; just that I've read it in the past.

well, yeah, the volume of water doesn't really matter -- unless you have too little. like if you only have one cup of water (like the OP) and you boil for 10 minutes -- 1 cup of water doesn't last very long at 212*F. you get syrup that sticks to the bottom of the bottling bucket... that matters...

Rhoobarb got it - 2 cups (1 pint) of water dilutes the sugar solution such that a 10-15 minute boil over medium heat will not carmelize it. Sjtravis boiled about the same amount of water and sugar, (just a bit more water) which is similar to what one does to create caramel, sugar syrup, candy, etc, hence the result. 1 pint:: 3/4 c sugar results in a thin enough solution to readily mix with the beer. I also tend to sanitize a large spoon and give things a couple of stirs, being careful not to oxygenate.

As for whether sj's will carbonate, think about how much syrup was left at the bottom of the bucket. If it was less than half the solution you originally put in there, you're probably OK on carbonation, though as others said it may take a bit longer. Don't sweat it - every mistake makes the next batch better.

Maybe you just invented a style...by caramelizing the priming sugar and allowing some of it to stick to the bottom of the bucket you get a slow conditioning that creates a velvety smooth head, notes of fig and toasted almond and layers of malty complexity that only fully mature after 28-36 months in the bottle. ;)

Rhoobarb said:
I always use two cups of filtered tap water and 8 oz. (1-1/4 c.) DME. I've read that the amount of water makes no difference - not saying it's fact; just that I've read it in the past.

From what is posted, it sounds like we are both correct. My concern is the amount of water left after boiling. Too little to start with, and too much boiling away, maybe is what created the original situation.

The whole idea sounds interesting but I don't think I can wait two or three years for a batch to be ready. Two or three weeks is way past my limit! : )

i boil mine for ten min. I think its to sanitize the sugar more than the water.as far as undercarbonating, i think it will just take longer. Ive seen recipes (foster's "pale ale") that call for as little as .5 ounces.

Janx said:
Maybe you just invented a style...by caramelizing the priming sugar and allowing some of it to stick to the bottom of the bucket you get a slow conditioning that creates a velvety smooth head, notes of fig and toasted almond and layers of malty complexity that only fully mature after 28-36 months in the bottle. ;)
Dude, you should get a job writing stuff like that. Whether you're pulling out of your @$$ or not.

billybrew said:
Dude, you should get a job writing stuff like that. Whether you're pulling out of your @$$ or not.

Let me know if you find someone willing to pay me for that kind of thing. Because screwing around posting on homebrewtalk beats my regular job like a redheaded stepchild ;)

Wait, what? We're supposed to be boiling our priming sugar before putting it in the bottling bucket? SINCE WHEN? I've been dumping it directly into the wort without boiling it at all and my beer's always turned out just fine. Maybe I should start doing that.....

Boiling it mostly just helps dissolve it and mix it with the beer. But sometimes it helps it stick to the bottom and not mix in at all ;)

Janx said:
Boiling it mostly just helps dissolve it and mix it with the beer. But sometimes it helps it stick to the bottom and not mix in at all ;)

I take the water off the heat after boiling before adding some fine corn sugar. Same as with adding LME, DME, or any sugar to wort so it doesn't burn on the bottom. I don't think the sugar needs to be sanitized, just the water. Then I add it to the priming bucket first, then rack the beer into it to mix it up. No need to stir, don't want to aerate.

Back