Priming Sugar Help for Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchalladay

Reaction score
Hey All,

So my first batch ever finished a few weeks ago. I let them sit in the bottles for 2 weeks and then put one in the fridge to chill and taste. Was flawless :rockin:. My issue now is the remaining bottles when I pop them foam like crazy out of the bottle for quite an extended period of time. I am thinking used a bit more priming sure that I should have. In hindsight I should have wrote down how much I put in each bottle.

My question is, while I wait for my new batch to ferment is there a good standard amount of priming sugar to put in 12oz bottles? I am really excited about my new batch (grapefruit honey ale) and I don't want to ruin it!

I use this priming sugar
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013S1QI80/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I also recently bought an electronic scale so I can use accurate measurements.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is much easier to get the same amount of priming sugar in each bottle by bulk priming. Dissolve the sugar in about two cups of boiled water and add to the bottling bucket before racking the beer.

Money can be saved by using regular table sugar. This calculator is good to use. Shows the different sugars that can be used.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Scales are really good for this purpose and accurately dividing packaged hops.

I use 4.2 oz per 5 gallon batch. 5.2 oz if its a Belgian style.

It is a Belgian style. I am on a 1 gallon batch. I have not made my way to be comfortable with a 5 gallon batch just yet. Should I then use 1.04 oz for the 1 gallon mixed with about 1-2 cups of water?

It is a Belgian style. I am on a 1 gallon batch. I have not made my way to be comfortable with a 5 gallon batch just yet. Should I then use 1.04 oz for the 1 gallon mixed with about 1-2 cups of water?

I like to keep Belgians around 3 Vols of CO2. They are ususally around 2.9 to 3.4 Vols. I'm afraid to go above 3 without corking. 1.04 will work, or to make it easier: 1.1 will make 3 Vols for exactly 1 gallon batch.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I have done several one gallon batches and put a Domino sugar cube in each bottle. It has worked out well, no over carbonation yet at all.

When using the calculator, make sure to use the highest temp achieved during fermentation. I made the mistake of using the cold crash temp as that was my current temp and the beer never carbed enough for me too drink.

It is much easier to get the same amount of priming sugar in each bottle by bulk priming.

I can't see how it is easier than single-bottle priming. I measure out a half-teaspoon, scraping the top level, and I am assured there is the same amount of sugar in each bottle.

They are just different methods of getting it in the beer, that's all.

(I won't mention that sometimes the batch-prime sugar-water doesn't get mixed evenly with the beer for some people.)

:)

Back