Priming sugar for bottled lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
When bottling a lager do I input the drest temp or my lagering temp when calculating priming sugar. Or should I just ramp it back up to my drest temp before bottling day to eliminate that problem?

When bottling a lager do I input the drest temp or my lagering temp when calculating priming sugar. Or should I just ramp it back up to my drest temp before bottling day to eliminate that problem?

I hate priming calculators- and won't use them.

But if you're going to use one, use the highest temperature your beer ever reached during or following fermentation. If that temp was the diacetyl rest temperature, use that temp in the calculator.

You can bottle it cold, no worries.

I generally use .75 ounces of corn sugar per finished gallon of beer, but slightly more for lagers. I like my pilsners carbed well, and will go up to 1 ounce per finished gallon (usually about 4.5 gallons ends up going to the bottle, so 4.5 ounces).

Back