Priming sugar amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieH2O

Reaction score
So I added 5oz of priming sugar to my bottling bucket and didn't account for the trub waste. I only got about 3.75 gallons (40 12oz bottles) out of my fermenter when I was planning on 5 gallons. I went ahead and bottled. Is that too much sugar for 3.75 gal? Worried about overcarbing and or bottle bombs.

Thanks for any thoughts

That's going to put you deep into Belgian territory with about 3.3 vols of CO2. I'd definitely handle with care.

Damnit! That's what I figured...I'm guessing there's really nothing I can do now? Live and learn I guess. Just sucks bc I was planning on giving out as Xmas gifts.

You can attempt to uncap and recap after a week and a half to let off some of the pressure. I've never done it but I know others have.

Make sure you keep em cold and serve cold with Flak Vests. Actually excessive foam may be the only issue. But do keep chilled it will slow down the carbonation.

You can attempt to uncap and recap after a week and a half to let off some of the pressure. I've never done it but I know others have.

I re-read this and I think I should clarify... Wait a week and a half then uncap and recap seconds later. Don't uncap and leave uncapped for a week and a half :p

Ok...so I guess I'm going to try and recap in a few days. Has anybody had success with this? What precautions should I consider? Seems a little sketchy but I guess I'll suit up and give it a try.

Ok...so I guess I'm going to try and recap in a few days. Has anybody had success with this? What precautions should I consider? Seems a little sketchy but I guess I'll suit up and give it a try.

You can vent and re-cap, just be fast and it will be fine.

Here's what I do, first ignore the graduations on your bottling bucket, they're wrong. Find an accurate way to measure half gallon increments, fill your bucket half gallon at a time and mark your bucket yourself with a sharpie.

When it comes to bottling day, start some water heating on the stove for the sugar. Rack the beer into your bucket and use a flashlight to shine through if needed to find the exact volume of beer you have. Use your favorite calculator and add the exact amount of priming sugar for your desired level. A nice 20" stamped stainless spoon is a great investment for gently stirring the beer after sugar addition.

Soon I will be bottling my first 5 gallon batch. I'm doing a West Coast IPA (Extract). On line there are Priming Sugar Calculators that give you the amount of sugar to use. My question is, “What category is this West Coast IPA considered.

For instance if I choose:
“Indian Pale Ale” the calculator tells me to use 2.8 ounces of Corn Sugar.

If I choose:
“American Pale Ale” the calculator tells me to use 4.2 ounces of Corn Sugar.

Pretty big difference. Which should I choose?
:confused::confused::confused:

That doesn't sound right... which calculator are you using? APA and IPA should be the same. I'd shoot for around 2.2 - 2.5 vols of CO2. That should be somewhere in the 4 ounce vicinity.

Back