Priming Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boblazaar

Reaction score
Hey All, new to the hobby and starting out with a Festa Brew or too...coming along nicely so far!!

My question is, most priming calculators online suggest around 5 oz of Dextrose for a Pilsner but the Fest Brew instructions (I know, instructions are best for starting my burner) call for 1 - 1.5 cups!!

Should I go with the calculators?

TIA

One and a half cups by weight would be asking for trouble in brews of 5 gallons or less.
I use 3-5 ounces AT MOST per batch and prime directly to the bottles with sucrose (cubes of table sugar).

Repeating what Max said, the 4-5 oz is weight, not 4-5 oz in a measuring cup. A digital scale is a handy addition to your equipment. They are cheap ($10-20) and most will do metric and imperial. Handy for priming, hops and anything else you need to weigh for brewing.

As for calculating the proper amount of priming sugar, Northern Brewer has a good calculator at https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/priming-sugar-calculator.

Without a calculator, general rule of thumb for a 5 gal batch is: 3/4 cup (using the lines on a measuring cup) or 5 oz. dry weight dextrose (corn sugar). This will get you in the acceptable range of vol's CO2 for most styles. Over-priming will end up in bottle-bombs.

Some kits tell you to use that amount of sugar at the end of boil to increase the ABV, might you have misread the instructions. I know I have.

You had me wondering but nope.

Attachments

• D2E51B34-8B1B-494C-A4EF-5A2075E88084.jpeg
    D2E51B34-8B1B-494C-A4EF-5A2075E88084.jpeg
    631.2 KB · Views: 21
Back