Priming Mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Im thinking I really messed up on my first batch that I bottled. When preparing the priming sugar, I followed a suggestion of boiling the water alone, then adding the sugar...rather than the usual way of mixing the sugar and water together and then bringing it to a boil for 5 minutes.

When I added the sugar to the heated water slowly, the first part of it, i would say 1/8 of the total sugar amount, spewed up a bit as it hit the hot water.

What will the end result of this be? Will my carbonation fall flat? And will I need to reprime?

I will not be doing this again, but hope I didnt screw up my first batch.

I imagine the reason they say to do that is that you want zero carmelization of your priming sugar. It seems like a good technique to me. You just need to be aware that any time sugar and boiling water mix, it bubbles up vigorously. That's why kettles like to boil over when they first hit boiling.

So, you're saying you lost about 1/8 of your priming solution? I would guess you'd probably have 7/8 of the carbonation you otherwise would have. I doubt you'll notice, and it's nothing to worry about. I would not reprime until you give it time to condition and try some in any event.

Cheers! :D

Janx said:
... I doubt you'll notice, and it's nothing to worry about. I would not reprime until you give it time to condition and try some in any event.

Cheers! :D

Thanks. I had filled 6 12oz bottles to use as "Testers" to sample each week for the next 6 weeks to follow its progress. Even though I bottled Monday night, I tried one last night as I was freaking out thinking I messed up. I wanted to see if I have any carbonation at all in those couple days (I know thats WAY too soon, but I was freaking out...lol).

I popped the cap on one and it gave a small hiss. I poured it into a clear glass and got a few bubbles coming up from the bottom, but nothing as far as bubbles on top. I drank it, and it definately had a bit of bite, and tasted much better than before I bottled it. It had everything it was supposed to, except the propper carbonation. I tell you, it had a decent alcohol content, as I felt it after drinking it, so Im happy with it. Im just hoping the carbonation issue works out.

Well here we are 7 days later, and I tried another of my 12oz testers and I have more carbonation, still nothing near perfect...but getting better. The taste has improved as well so Im confident with it so far.

Well I want to say that the batch turned out fantastic after all. I allowed it to sit another week or so an BAM...carbonated as heck now. Smooth taste, nice bite and good after taste. Now if I could get my Wheat out of the carboy, except its still fermenting away...

Good to hear. Like they say, relax, have a homebrew. It's pretty cool how things work out even when you think you screwed up. It's almost a fool-proof endeavor.

nature is kinda fool proof on the important things, like fermenting malted barley and hops with yeast :) i figure if they could do it thousands of years ago, we can surely do it too :)

Latest posts

Back