Priming a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakros

Reaction score
I don't have a CO2 bottle yet, but I do have a few cornies that I could use. Is it possible to bulk prime the batch, fill the keg, and have it pressurize enough?

If I fit a picnic tap on the keg after 3 weeks at room temperature, how much of the keg will I be able to drink before the pressure runs out?

Thanks for any help!

I went ahead and did this with no ill results. Just use half of the priming sugar that you would use for bottling and rack to the keg.

What I did as well was release the pressure every day for the next few days to purge the O2 out of the headspace. Oxidation should be a minimal concern as CO2 is heavier than O2 and will make a nice layer over your beer (while you purge it for the next few days)
-Me

Oh, I reread what you typed... LOL

If thats the case you will get 1 - 2 glasses (maybe) with that method. You really do need something to push your beer out as the CO2 created will absorb into your beer. Just grab the little CO2 canister majiggie for serving. You should have no problems serving with just that.
-Me

Me,

There was still enough pressure to pour the beer out of the tap? For the whole keg?

Out of interest's sake -- why only half the priming sugar?

Latest posts

Back