Priming a keg with Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gradnin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If I carbonate with a keg with sugar instead of force-carbing it, should I pressurize it a little to push the oxygen out? or leave the oxygen in there for the yeast?

Thank you.

p.s. force-carbing it is not an option for me with these kegs.

If you leave what in there for the yeast? Also, Im just curious, if force carbing is not an option for you, then how do you plan on pushing the oxygen out? In answer to your questions, yes you can carbonate with sugar in a keg, Im just not sure why you would want/need to do so...

If you leave what in there for the yeast? Also, Im just curious, if force carbing is not an option for you, then how do you plan on pushing the oxygen out? In answer to your questions, yes you can carbonate with sugar in a keg, Im just not sure why you would want/need to do so...

I like natural conditioning better, even when done in kegs.

Yes, I would suggest hitting them with some CO2 and releasing the pressure a few times to purge them of any oxygen before leaving them to prime with the sugar.

I've done so when I had multiple kegs that needed priming but only a single CO2 hookup to force carb.

You're reactivating those yeast in there so you'll need to cold crash them out again in a couple weeks and the first few pours will be cloudy as they are pushed out.

I like natural conditioning better, even when done in kegs.

Huh, learn something new everyday I guess. I just love keggin because I dont have to "guess"/measure out corn sugar to carb it right. Its just so convenient to set the pressure and come back later. But different stroked for different folks I suppose.

I just am actually very curious what would cause the OP to be able to flush with co2 but not force carb his kegs.

Sorry. Edited my original post. Meant to say: "or leave the oxygen in there for the yeast?" And, yes I have a CO2 tank and a regulator. Priming sugar is already in the keg, just could not decide if I should be adding a little pressure to the head space and burping the pressure release valve on the keg to bleed the initial oxygen out of the keg.

Sorry. Edited my original post. Meant to say: "or leave the oxygen in there for the yeast?" And, yes I have a CO2 tank and a regulator. Priming sugar is already in the keg, just could not decide if I should be adding a little pressure to the head space and burping the pressure release valve on the keg to bleed the initial oxygen out of the keg.

Yes you should. That way you will avoid oxidizing your beer.

I just am actually very curious what would cause the OP to be able to flush with co2 but not force carb his kegs.

Using sugar because I have four kegs and I do not the ability to keep them cold right now and I am only setup to pressurize one keg at a time. I need them in about a month and I have very little free time in the next few weeks. Using priming sugar on these so I can just set up and get back to them in mid-July when I need them.

Using sugar because I have four kegs and I do not the ability to keep them cold right now and I am only setup to pressurize one keg at a time. I need them in about a month and I have very little free time in the next few weeks. Using priming sugar on these so I can just set up and get back to them in mid-July when I need them.

Well I guess that makes sense. Thanks for answering! :rockin:

As it takes a little time for pressure to build up from the yeast and the CO2 used to seal the keg gets absorbed I give the keg a top off shot of 30PSI for the first couple days. It may not be need but it makes me feel better.

So when you prime a key with sugar won't that result in sediment in the bottom of the keg? What keeps that from being dispensed with the beer?

I think you always get some sediment in the bottom when you natrually carbonate anything. Just the first pint or two will be cloudy

edit: blah, usurped yet again...

Latest posts

Back