primery blew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggerthanyou83

Reaction score
Ok I just put Belgian triple in abucket lasting to ferment. This morning it was already fermenting since there was alot of ait movement. I just got home and the lid was off and foam was on the top. Is my beer done? Or can i just cover it back up.

Clean and sanitize the lid and put it back on.

Then search Blow OfF Tube.

You need a blow off tube!

Run a tube from your fermenter to a bucket or pot of water. This will direct your overblown krausen/foam into the water, instead of blowing the top off. Your beer isn't done as long as no nasties find their way into your beer.

Clean and sanitize the lid and put it back on.

Then search Blow OfF Tube.

this...

In the mean time, just get the lid on as best you can and wrap the bucket up with old towels or sheets or something maybe put it in a big rubber maid container if you have one laying around. Push the lid down on the krausen if you have to.

I'd say yes. Do you have some cheap grocery store vodka around? I use it to fill my airlocks. That way,I'm not adding chemicals,or water logged nasties in a reverse pressure situation (suck back,et al). Maybe even rinse with rubbing alcohol. Just shake it off good.

If the lid didn't come off completely, just secure it and throw a tube in the bung where the airlock goes, and lead it into a bucket or pitcher of ideally sanitizer or you could probably use fresh water if need be.

Back