Primary to secondary Racking ?s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeretheBrews

Reaction score
Ok. First off, I bought a book, how to brew for dummies. As well as reading www.howtobrew.com

The dummy book says to hook the tubing up to the spigot of the primary fermenter... The howtobrew says siphon but as yoru siphoning keep the tube in the primary a few inches from the bottom to avoid sucking up yeast and other particles ETC. Which do I do?

My kit has a primary fermenter, a BOTTLING BUCKET WITH SPIGOT, and a carboy...

I should use the primary fermenter and use the siphon method from howtobrew correct?

WeretheBrews said:
I should use the primary fermenter and use the siphon method from howtobrew correct?

Yeah, thats what I would do. Some fermenters have a spigot, but you will have a lot more control of the transfer with a siphon (i.e. pull less trub over).

Honestly, you can use either method you prefer or feel more comfortable with, since your kit has both a primary fermenter and a bottling bucket w/ spigot. My kit doesn't have a primary fermenter, so I do primary fermentation in my bottling bucket and hook the tubing to the spigot when time to rack to secondary. Personally, I'm more comfortable with this method anyway, because I don't have to fool with a siphon. The amount of trub and sediment I get from the primary is not a lot and it settles out in the secondary just fine.

Back