Primary not holding pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyMoose

Reaction score
I bought an ale pail form my LHBS last weekend to increase my pipline. It looked like the other ones that I have been using for years. But when I got it home I noticed that it was made with thinner walls and lid and it just felt "cheaper". I figured that it would not be a problem and just kinda forgot about it.
After I brewed on Sunday I noticed that after I snapped the lid on, the lid would spin on the top of the bucket with very little resistance. So here it is two days later and I've got a good Krausen rising but no airlock activity.
If I press down slightly on the lid of my other, older primaries I can force a couple of bubbles out of the air lock. Not so with the new one. I put some tape around the lid and I'm hoping for the best.
So my question is this: Is anyone here familiar with this particular brand of bucket? Is there supposed to be an O-ring in the lid? Am I missing a part? Could it just be a bad unit?

FRONT

P1040847.jpg

BACK

P1040848.jpg

Shame to hear but if left undisturbed it should be fine. Wouldn't use it for long term aging but a few weeks should be no thing.

Once fermentation has started, it creates a blanket of co2 and protects your beer. You can not judge fermentation just by airlock activity, only by hydrometer readings. The co2 is escaping from the lid, probably should have an o-ring in the lid, but not a deal breaker. Check with the store you bought it from and see if it was supposed to have one.

I think you will be fine with that bucket for normal brews, not as a secondary.

Good call on the tape. I would have done the same thing.

I would just let the batch ferment out, and use the bucket for grain storage after your batch is done. I don't know about that brand of bucket though.

A primary fermenter does not need an air tight seal and an air lock in the lid. I use the Coopers DIY for beer, the lid just lays on there. I have a different bucket I use as a primary for wine. The lid does snap on but there is no o-ring and I only snap it down in two spots (as per the instructions that came with it). The CO2 escapes easily and I've never had an infection.

Both of these fermenters are relatively transparent (yours appears to be as well) so you can see for yourself what is going on in there.

RAHAHB?

http://byo.com/stories/item/1211-open-fermentation-tips-from-the-pros

http://www.brewery.org/library/OpenFerm.html

http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/q...nts-contamination-during-primary-fermentation

There are many professional brewers that use open fermenters for primary so a closed system is not necessary to keep the bugs out. A little more care is needed in secondary since there is alcohol present and exposure to air will cause oxidation. This is why a closed system for secondary is more important.

Thank you everybody. Lots of good information here. I didn't realize that so many commercial breweries were using the open ferment method.
You've put my mind at ease. Now I think I'll relax and have a homebrew!

Moose

Back