Primary Mead Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mgreg33

Reaction score
I’m starting my 1st mead using a mead kit. I says to let ferment in primary for about 2 weeks till the SG doesn’t change for 2 days. I believe I’ll be leaving for 2 weeks of work before it reaches that point. Will the mead be fine sitting in primary for an extra week or two after fermentation stalls? My starting SG is 1.115 with 2 Packets of Lalvin 71B-1122 Yeast/15 Pounds of Honey

Yes, it will be fine. The last thing you want to do is rack too soon, and even at 4 weeks it may not be completely done fermenting.

+1 on AZ_IPA's response.

It's done when you've had 3 consecutive identical gravity readings, usually taken 2 or 3 days apart, so a week to 10 days to confirm it's done.

Just don't forget, done is relative, because if it's too high, it's not finished, it's stuck.

If you do the usual stuff i.e. a bit of aeration, some nutrients etc, then the 14% ABV tolerance would be from 1.105 start to finish at 1.000 - about 105 point drop for 14 %, your start gravity is a bit higher so I'd expect some residual sugars.

So if you get a finished gravity of 1.010, then I'd consider it done/finished. Now I'd still cover my arse and stabilise it afterwards as some racking etc could re-vitalise the yeast a bit. There's plenty of people who say that they've got 71B to go higher than 14% and you don't really want "bottle bombs".....

Back