Primary for 8 months - do I need to add yeast at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewibolo

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a batch that's been in the primary ale pail for 8 months. I'm going to try it and see if it's good, but should I add more yeast at time of bottling?, or will there be sufficient live yeast to complete the carbonation?

It has been in a glass carboy with an airlock sitting at about 68 degrees the whole time.

Thanks for the input!

E

If there's yeast on the bottom, I would think you could just drag your racking cane across the bottom when transferring to your bottling bucket and pull up some yeast. That should be sufficient to carbonate your bottles.

That's a mighty long primary- pretty much the only time I'd ever secondary would be if I was planning to bulk age for a long time like that. I'd taste the beer before racking and make sure everything's worked out.

If this is a typical ale, then I would say add some more yeast at bottling. If this is a sour beer, then no.

Wouldn't hurt to add a bit more fresh yeast. That way, you have more confidence your beer will carbonate quicker.

I would. Don't chance on "finding out" if the yeast is still active". It still might take awhile to carbonate, so don't freak there aren't many bubbles after 3 weeks.

slarkin712 said:
If this is a typical ale, then I would say add some more yeast at bottling. If this is a sour beer, then no.

+1
I bottled a 15 month old Lambic without new yeast. Carbed in one month.

Back