Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankTG

Reaction score
Hi,

I have started in on making hard cider for the first time. I have 3 separate carboys for my primary fermentation. I am doing this, as I want to test out 3 different styles of yeast on the same juice to get a sense of the effect on the final product.

I have a few questions:

1. Is keeping oxygen out of the carboy on the primary important? Or does the aggressive fermenting push it out anyway?
  2. I have 7 gallons of fresh pasteurized juice. I put 3 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy, another 3 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy and 1 gallon in a 3 gallon carboy for primary fermenting. One clear error here is that I can not measure the SG without disturbing the juice. I have not added yeast yet, just campden tabs and pectic enzyme. Should I just poor some out of the 3 galon carboy into a jar and measure the starting SG that way?
  3. I will be racking each 6 gallon carboy contents into 3 gallon ones, and the 3 gallon carboy into a 1 gallon one. I believe trying to decrease the oxygen at this stage is more important?

Many thanks for your time and consideration!

FG

During primary / active fermentation as CO2 will be produced oxidation and the large head space is not too much of a concern. As soon as fermentation slows as you suggested I would agree moving to smaller carboys with limited head space is a good practice.

1. Oxygen is required during the active primary phase. Once it slows down is when you need to be concerned.
2. Take a sample and measure it. There's no such thing as disturbing the juice at this stage. You could just pour some into a sanitized glass and pour it back in after taking a reading.
3. Correct.

Good luck with your cider.

1. Oxygen is required during the active primary phase. Once it slows down is when you need to be concerned.
2. Take a sample and measure it. There's no such thing as disturbing the juice at this stage. You could just pour some into a sanitized glass and pour it back in after taking a reading.
3. Correct.

Good luck with your cider.

Thank you very much!

Also, is it advised to rack twice? As in:

Rack times:
  1. Rack to fresh carboys ~24 hrs after campden tabs, leaving what is left at the bottom of the carboys
  2. Rack to fresh carboys after fermented to dry

Cheers!

FG

Campden won't make any sediment, no need to rack after that. If you use pectic enzyme for clearing, you may want to rack off the "mud" that settles before pitching your yeast.

I usually wait until SG is about 1.010 before racking to secondary.

Back