primary fermentation vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjtabares

Reaction score
What do you use for your primary fermentation vessel? Do you use an open top bucket, or a air locked bucket or carboy?

The mead I will be making will have a sg of around 1.120-1.130 and I plan on airating and adding nutrients during the primary fermentation. What is the easiest way to do this is in a 5 gal better bottle?

The mead I will be making will have a sg of around 1.120-1.130 and I plan on airating and adding nutrients during the primary fermentation. What is the easiest way to do this is in a 5 gal better bottle?

I would just give it a swish and shake every time you want to aerate it. For nutrients, just drop them in. Make sure to use sanitized and dry equipment to spoon it out.

Don't be afraid of open buckets. Most all commercial fermentation chambers are open. The CO2 will protect the must from O2. An ale pail works the best for 5 gal batches. You can get some violent volcanic action during the intital aerating processes. Many just use an open pail with a towel over to keep debris out during primary. (I've not been that brave)

The lees stirrer that I got fits inside of the mouth of a 5 gallon plastic carboy, although the last batch of mead I did was done in a fermenting bucket. I just took a clean dishtowel, soaked it in sanitizer and draped over the top of the bucket, and it made it so much easier to aerate and add nutrient. Of course you don't get the fun of watching everything through the carboy, but for ease of use I vote for the pail. Of course, once it hit the 1/2 sugar break the towel came off and on went the lid and airlock.

The lees stirrer that I got fits inside of the mouth of a 5 gallon plastic carboy, although the last batch of mead I did was done in a fermenting bucket. I just took a clean dishtowel, soaked it in sanitizer and draped over the top of the bucket, and it made it so much easier to aerate and add nutrient. Of course you don't get the fun of watching everything through the carboy, but for ease of use I vote for the pail. Of course, once it hit the 1/2 sugar break the towel came off and on went the lid and airlock.

This is what I was thinking just unsure.

1/6 barrel sanke keg for ~4 gallon batches. :D Airlock attached to the fermenter TC cap I have on the liquid post fitting (also has a thermowell in it). Last few batches I've done this way I've given them the full nutrient amount at the start. Fermented without issue (formulated to 14% ABV).

I usually just rotate it back and forth quickly (like a washing machine agitator) and watch the CO2 cascade up the sides, do this a couple times then mix the nutrients with just enough water to make them a real watery paste (really just takes a few drops) and pour them in. Then slosh it around again. You will definitely want to degass first or chance the infamous mead geyser.

I also use medical grade oxygen with a stainless steel .05 micron airstone, few shots at .5 l/min for a few seconds each and good to go, whole process only takes a few minutes.

As for fermenters I have mostly plastic carboy style, 5gal x2, 4gal x3, 3gal bb x2, 1gal glass jugs x12 (love the recycling center)

1/6 barrel sanke keg for ~4 gallon batches. :D Airlock attached to the fermenter TC cap I have on the liquid post fitting (also has a thermowell in it). Last few batches I've done this way I've given them the full nutrient amount at the start. Fermented without issue (formulated to 14% ABV).

I am about to make the switch to fermenting in kegs - can you tell me how you did the thermowell?

I am about to make the switch to fermenting in kegs - can you tell me how you did the thermowell?

2012-03-17_10-56-06_373.jpg

2012-03-17_10-54-58_721.jpg

2012-03-17_10-53-30_622.jpg

PM me and I'll give you the details into getting these made. :D

Latest posts

Back