Primary Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IntotheBrew

Reaction score
I just started my first homebrew, an Amber Ale from Brewers Best. I'm fermenting at ~68 degrees, and I started getting bubbles around 18 hours in. I started fermenting 4 days ago, and bubbles have mostly stopped.

I've been getting a lot of conflicting suggestions, but little rationale behind them. The first recipies I've read have said 5-7 days, waiting 48 hours after bubbles stop. Most of the advice I've read online has said 2 weeks is a better target. Which should I aim for, and why would it make a difference?

IME, ales are best when left alone for at least 4 weeks. Then get a fg reading, taste the sample and decide if it needs more time or not. IMO, you'll be better served by learning patience with home brew from the start. My better batches have all gone at least 4 weeks in primary. More are going 6-8 weeks (or longer) on the yeast.

If you want solid fact/science behind why, pick up the new Yeast book. I don't have my copy with me today or I could give you the chapters to read.

My recommendation, is wait as long as you can, with the target being at least 3 weeks. I accelerated my timelines on my first batch to get beer into the pipeline, but subsequent batches at 3 weeks primary / 3 weeks bottling (minimum) turned out much better.

I do not know all the science, I have no reasons for why, all I know is that I push for at least 3 / 3 fermentation / bottling for standard gravity beers from what I have read.

Back