Primary Fermentation not starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy2484

Reaction score
Hi all, I’m 2 days into my first cider fermentation, I added the yeast but have had no bubbling from the airlock, no sign of any fermentation activity. Should it start straight away, or am I being impatient? I’ve got a 12L bucket, it’s in the lounge at 19 degrees C. I’m using a new packet of cider yeast. Thanks

It's not unusual for dry yeast to be sluggish, especially if you sprinkle it directly into the bucket.

Did you rehydrate the yeast? What strain are you using?

thanks, no I didn’t rehydrate it, that’s probably where I went wrong, the instructions said just sprinkle on the top. It’s Gervin GV13 cider yeast.
Cheers

Buckets are notorious for leaking air from the lid / seal and the air lock does not "bubble" check the SG with a hydrometer and one or two days later check it again if dropping your fine.

Dry yeast sometimes does have a day or two "lag" phase if dumped in without a starter (Even with a starter sometimes has lagged a little for me.)

Give it a little more time...
If it does not take off in a few days consider raising the temp a degree or two, shake it like you own it and or stir it to introduce a little air. Consider if not already adding some nutrients.
If that doesn't work then:
Check the pH and if not between 3.8 and 4.3 adjust using Sodium Bicarbonate or Acid.

Finally if none of that worked start a packet of your yeast using some of the must from your bucket leave it at room temp and swirl it every time you think about it for a day. Then add it to your bucket.

If you added campden (kmeta) then it is best to aerate before adding the yeast because this can sometimes hinder the process. Rehydration is always a good step as well. And as was mentioned earlier check to make sure the bucket is not leaking (had one like that this year myself).

Check the pH and if not between 3.8 and 4.3 adjust using Sodium Bicarbonate or Acid.
That is some low acidity. I have cider must at 3.2 ph that I pitched yeast into without issue. pH in that range won't help much to protect the must from infection.

In those circs I would bring in a portable heater & place nearby. Then take a jug of juice from the barrel, add some extra yeast to it and stand the jug in some warm water, kept warm. The jugful should start fermenting, whereupon I'd pour it back in to the barrel to act as a trigger.

But alas it's late to give this advice! I'm used to fermentation starting well within 24 hours with commercial yeasts and within 48 hours with wild yeasts. Once those time frames had passed, I'd do the above immediately.

Did your juice eventually ferment?

Hi all, thanks for your comments, so it’s day 11 today and my hydrometer and PH meter finally arrived. SG is 1.005 And PH 2.54. It tastes like vinegar, as I was expecting after 11 days. Still not seen a single bubble through the airlock, but I presume it’s fermented. There’s about 2” of sediment in the bottom of the bucket. Do I just siphon the juice off into another bucket, fill to the brim, and leave for a couple of months now? Thanks

Attachments

• 8FEE154F-BF47-4808-A411-B88A5C786C37.jpeg
    8FEE154F-BF47-4808-A411-B88A5C786C37.jpeg
    879.2 KB · Views: 9
That's an astonishing low pH. Did you press apples that acidic or add powdered acid? Are you going to do a maloactic fermentation?

As for secondary, most people use glass carboys, but a bucket will work, just not as easy to see what's going on without exposing stuff to the air. But you would want to go ahead and fill it close to the top like you mentioned.

I didn’t add any acid, (though I’ve got a new PH meter, I didn’t calibrate it because you didn’t need to straight away) perhaps I will anyway to check, they were A 50/50 mix of dessert apples and cider apples. I’ll look up malolactic fermentation as not heard of that yet. Thanks

Last edited:
I didn’t add any acid, (though I’ve got a new PH meter, I didn’t calibrate it because you didn’t need to straight away) perhaps I will anyway to check, they were A 50/50 mix of dessert apples and cider apples. I’ll look up malolactic fermentation as not heard of that yet. Thanks

Hi all, further update - tested it again today SG is still the same at 1.005 but PH has increased to 2.81. Doesn’t Taste very nice, certainly not drinkable, should I leave it as is in primary Fermentation or rack off? Thanks

Hi all, further update - tested it again today SG is still the same at 1.005 but PH has increased to 2.81. Doesn’t Taste very nice, certainly not drinkable, should I leave it as is in primary Fermentation or rack off? Thanks
You can actually rack it to secondary as fermentation slows down. The question is what is going on with your must. There seems to be no more sugar, but the pH readings are all over the place. If you do have vinegar production then maybe you should just see what happens. Otherwise if it's really undrinkable just because of malic acid and not acetic acid the only other option I see is cutting it into some fresh juice with low acidity to balance it or pitching a malolactic culture to see if you can reduce some of the acidity.

I really have no experience with this, so take everything I am saying with a grain of salt. These are my best guesses of what to do based on knowledge of different processes, but lack of knowledge of what the must tastes like and what the true issue is.

Latest posts

Back