Primary fermentation length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRDroid

Reaction score
I have seen mixed opinions on this website. Some people as to keep it in primary as long as possible some say bottle it once the FG stays stable for a few days. I'd like to hear the debate on both sides.

If you search, you'll find that both sides have debated this over and over and over and over. And then they debated it in a few more threads after that.

I'd have to agree with ChshreCat, like many of the other great debates (chili with or without beans, spaghetti sauce, best pizza, etc..), you won't be able to find a definitive position on what is best. I've found for an average ale, 3 weeks primary, 3 weeks bottle is best. Heavy beers, of course, require longer times, dependent on the style.

Kinda like going on a computer forum and saying "I haven't heard much about the PC vs MAC debate. Can someone please argue about this for me? heheheh you're not going to get much out of it.

My best advice... try out different methods yourself and see what works for YOU. There's 100 different ways to brew and usually about 99 of them will work (give or take one ;) ). Find the one that works for you and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. Long primaries make great beer for me. See what they do for you.

Latest posts

Back