Primary exploded in 10 hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtheroux

Reaction score
So I leave it on the kitchen counter because it needs to 74f... Then can rest done to 71 which I can easily do in my unfinished basement... The airlock jammed in 8 hrs and hit the roof... Of coarse my wife found it first is ready to take my brewing license away... I used a large glass carboy with 1/3 open on top... WTF??? Anybody else have a huge brown spot on there ceiling?

74F is too warm! That's room temperature, but the fermenting beer will be much warmer inside, and as you've found, can be explosive!

Do you have a temperature sticker on the outside of the fermenter? Depending on the yeast strain, you want the beer to be around 65-68 degrees.

It's the white labs "white bread"... Doing the dfh 90 min ipa and it says to put it at 74 then cool to 71?

That's hard to do! It's hard to lower the temperature well when you've got fermenting beer producing heat! If you're reading the instructions on the vial, don't! Use the White Lab's website. Here's their info:
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/homebrew_strains.html#ALE_YEAST

You underestimate the ability to cool something where I'm from... The ground water is 38.... But that aside ****, piss, ****... Aaaaa beer on my ceiling

I had a batch, three gallons of a liquid can kit that I modified a hair, and it was in a 5.5 gallon ferm bucket. In 12 hours it was blowing foam out the top! So I steralized a big spoon and removed said faom (as I read that this faom tends to remove unwanted stuffs from the beer anyway....4 hours later it was blowing up again!! That is when I made the decision to just hook up blow off tubes to all my batches now. Now I just want to design a nice system to use, one that hooks to the side of the bucket/carboy. Short answer, use a blow off tube - I find that connecting a hose up to the inner tube on a the air lock works just fine, run that into some h2o in a bucjet and your all set.

never had an airlock blow off and hit the ceiling.. BUT... I did have one get plugged with yeast when fermenting a blueberry mead. Thankfully it was in a bucket. the lid was bowed out so much the airlock was in a 45 degree angle. spent 6 hours baby sitting that one releasing pressure every 30 minutes (ended up being an award winning mead). Since then I have started every mead or beer with a blow off tube. has saved my brewing license from the scissors of SWMBO many times

Yup Had this happen yesterday. Blew the top right off the fermenter.
Im making a very simular receipe using Wyeast 1099.
Thank god Im not married. So I just cleaned up the mess. Suprising it doesnt really smell bad. Almost has a Vanilla aroma.
Today I removed the imprompto blow off and put the airlack back on as it has slowed bubbling sugnificantly. Maybe because im fermenting so low temp.(around 60-62 degrees)
Good luck dont get discuraged. Im sure many have gone trough it.

worthless.gif
[/IMG]

Back